Talk

Advanced search

A nice bit of wood

(9 Posts)
Mumswang Sat 25-Jun-11 20:18:29

we have what was a fireplace. Now just a hole. It needs some kind of mantle shelf. Where would one acquire an oak beam type of arrangement to make a shelf out of? Where sells that kind of thing?

ib Sat 25-Jun-11 20:31:30

I would probably get a reclaimed beam - there are loads of places that sell reclaimed wood for construction. If you google you should be able to find some in your area.

jenrendo Sat 25-Jun-11 20:34:54

Yes, go to a reclamation yard and you'll be able to find something that suits.

Mumswang Sat 25-Jun-11 20:46:16

I've googled reclaimTion and my area, it appears there are none hmm can that be possible? I certainly don't recall ever seeing one nearby

Anyone know of one in north wilts / west berks type area?

ib Sat 25-Jun-11 21:13:25

Are you anywhere near Swindon?

www.swindonstrattonreclaim.co.uk/

wonkylegs Sat 25-Jun-11 21:31:50

Go on www.salvo.co.uk that should get you a link to all the reclaims in your area, you could also try www.oakbeamuk.com

nocake Mon 27-Jun-11 20:53:44

I bought a lovely piece of oak from eBay. It was green oak and came with fittings to attach it to the wall.

Mumswang Tue 28-Jun-11 11:55:16

oh these are great suggestions, thanks all

i am near swindon so i'll check that place out ib

nocake, what did you enter to search for on ebay 'green oak beam', oh and fittings, i'd not even considered that, how did you attach it?

and sorry for the barage of questions, but would anyone be able to advise, would a flat plank be better or a square bit, iyswim?

nocake Tue 28-Jun-11 22:27:12

Search for "Oak Beam" on eBay and you'll get all sorts of wood. Some new and some reclaimed.

There are a number of ways of fitting it to the wall. You either go for fancy brackets, like this or use hidden fittings like these. We have hidden brackets, which take a bit of work to fit but the shelf does look good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now