Talk

Advanced search

Bath hot water tap, not working at all , any advice please

(6 Posts)
jenni75 Sat 25-Jun-11 07:36:58

Hi, bath hot water tap not working at all, have unsrewed the lid off and cleaned, sprayed it with wd40 but no improvement. Does anyone know what could be the problem, have an awful feeling it sounds like a plumber job, also overflow is leaking outside, not sure if they are linked, does this sound costly to fix?
Any advice would be appreciated, as no baths till it's fixed :-(

thinbridewaitingtogetout Sat 25-Jun-11 07:42:01

If cold water is on i would of thought it was an air lock? Try turning the tap on and leaving it for a while and se if the water starts running then.

Provided you havent already done or has nothing to do with the problem.

nocake Sat 25-Jun-11 07:48:50

I assume it's just the bath tap that's not working? The tap could be worn which has resulted in the washer being jammed down permanently. When you turn the tap it's supposed to lift the washer and allow water out. If it's stuck down then even if you turn the tap it won't lift. How comfortable are you with taking a tap apart? You could take it apart, pull out the washer and fit a new one which should allow you to have a bath but the tap probably needs replacing.

jenni75 Sat 25-Jun-11 09:06:40

Hi, thank you nocake i think it is the washer, are they hard to replace( for the average person with no diy knohow)
i've managed to free it just now and so have hot water again but think it will need replacing.
Ta

nocake Sat 25-Jun-11 11:24:10

They're not too hard to replace but you do need a little bit of plumbing knowledge and the right tools. Have a look on YouTube for a video of how to do it.

dadof2ofthem Sat 25-Jun-11 11:52:22

i'm a builder
it's possible to repair i would have thought but easier just to replace the taps , if you find some taps that you like and are the right distance apart, here in holland there either 12.7 or 15.3 not sure if it's the same in england.
after that it's a very small job for the plumber or if you have a spanner or two in the house and your confident about turning the water off you could do it yourself .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now