Talk

Advanced search

bathroom refurb on a budget question...

(11 Posts)
Becaroooo Fri 24-Jun-11 16:55:40

...we are (hopefully!!) moving at the end of July into a house which has had a lot done to it, but is in dire need of a new bathroom.

We have little money to refurb it with (as the house needs new carpets, and we need some new bedroom furniture too) and I was wondering...

IYO, is an electric shower ^essential" do you think?

We have 2 dc who have baths and dh and I have a mixture of baths and showers atm.

Cant really afford one, you see sad Do they still do those shower attachment thingies for taps???

I can get a cheap white suite for under £200 and will do the tiling myself, but cant stretch to more than that.

Any tips on how to do a really cheap bathroom refurb??

Its quite a large bathroom as it was once a separate WC and bathroom and its been knocked into one room.

(Its currently got a grey suite - yes, grey - and grey and pink tiles all over. Was last done in the late 1980s!)

TIA

said Fri 24-Jun-11 17:50:38

Weeell, grey is quite a trendy colour now for bathrooms...

Re showers - yes, you can get bath taps with a shower attachment that can be fixed to an upright rail on the wall. This type of thing but you can get different shower heads and for cheaper than this

Becaroooo Fri 24-Jun-11 17:51:44

Is it???? Blimey! I might acutally be "on trend" for once in my life!!!! smile

Pannacotta Fri 24-Jun-11 17:56:00

This is a good example of what said refers to, would do this in preference to an electric shower
www.plumbworld.co.uk/aqualisa-midas-100-2624-20151

DisparityCausesInstability Fri 24-Jun-11 18:07:18

Does it need a new bathroom because you don't like the look of grey, is it still functioning? If it all still works then I'd just live with it - save up and do a proper job the first time with a shower etc.

Becaroooo Fri 24-Jun-11 18:15:06

Its pink Its got pink in it!!!!

aaarrggghhhh........

Will have to make do for a while anyway.......sad

How about tile paint, until you have more cash?

Becaroooo Fri 24-Jun-11 18:22:27

hmm did that in the old kitchen years ago....nightmare job! Will just have to live with it til we can do it properly. Would quite like a separate shower cubicle......

I did it in my kitchen and on my fireplace. Tried Dulux first, which was crap so scraped it all off and used Ronseal. Even my picky DM thought they were new tiles. I put the paint on with a gloss roller (much easier than a brush and no brush strokes visible) and then went over the grout with a white grout pen. Saved me loads of time and effort.

Becaroooo Fri 24-Jun-11 18:38:33

oooh, roller....thats a good idea and they are large tiles so not too fiddly.

DisparityCausesInstability Fri 24-Jun-11 21:13:03

I have lived with worse for 5 years but to get what you want in the end is worth it. We replaced the carpet with the cheapest lino we could find - would have painted but is was all tiled - after a little while you will stop noticing how awful it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now