Talk

Advanced search

Carpet cleaning - how much?!?!?!!?!?

(7 Posts)
AnonymousBird Wed 22-Jun-11 13:52:59

I am about to move out of rented. The carpet when we moved in was ok, a little worn in places, but by no means threadbare. There were also a few scuffs and marks on it, despite the landlord cleaning before we moved in. No problems there, just wear and tear.

I am going to have the carpets cleaned before I move out - we are talking a two bedroom bungalow, so one large bed, one very small bed, a short hallway and two decent sized reception rooms. No stairs (obviously!), that's it.

I have had two quotes - one for £110 all in, one for £290... both from what seem to be reputable businesses. The second one actually applies a "discount" down from £450, apparently - 3 rooms for the price of 2, plus a discount for the property being empty.

How on earth can they be so different? Is the second one a complete rip off, or is the first one a "get us in cheap then bump it up" type thing?

I have no feel at all for what seems a reasonable fee for this size of job - we are talking 2-3 hours to do the job, according to either service.

Geordieminx Wed 22-Jun-11 14:12:16

Hire a rug doctor from your local b and q or similar. It's easy although time consuming and will cost less than £50

AnonymousBird Wed 22-Jun-11 16:55:43

Unfortunately I have to have it done professionally and produce a receipt/certificate because I have a dog and it's part of the tenancy agreement.

Really, I just wanted to get a feel for what might be a reasonable fee for a compact 2 bed property.... £110 doesn't feel OTT, but clearly £290 does, but equally I want a proper job doing and don't want the cheaper service actually turn out to be a nightmare with loads of extras (though their estimator swears it is all inclusive).

crazycarol Wed 22-Jun-11 19:48:29

I had my living room, hall & stairs & 3 piece suite cleaned by a cleaning co last year for £70.

nancy75 Wed 22-Jun-11 19:51:24

we had stairs, hall & 2 bedroom done it was about £90 - £110 sounds about right, £450 sounds like a piss take!

Helzapoppin Wed 22-Jun-11 19:52:37

Ours cost £130 for living room, hallway, landing, large bedroom, large rug and small bedroom.

AnonymousBird Thu 23-Jun-11 07:40:53

Thank you people.

It's not as if the carpet was perfect when we moved in either, and it's standard rented property quality stuff - ie. never was great and never will be. Suspect that the regular service for £110 will suffice.

I only need to do enough to leave it as I found it plus basic wear and tear to get my deposit back. I can't improve it from how it was when we moved here!

I just needed some reassurance that £110 wasn't going to be a rubbish job, sounds roughly the going rate.

Many thanks. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now