Talk

Advanced search

Help me find the perfect village to live in

(14 Posts)
weepootle Wed 22-Jun-11 10:51:03

Dh is in the forces but we're looking to buy somewhere of our own that I can go and settle in in the next couple of years.

Ideally I'm looking for a village with a good school and pub.

We are pretty much open to going anywhere. Our recent search areas have been around Harrogate & Bath as these are both areas we like.

Harrogate is no good as it's too built up but a Yorkshire village would be lovely - if only I knew which ones were good.

The Bath searches show we can only afford Frome which I don't know very well.

Another consideration was the Northamptonshire area.

Our budget is only about £200000 as we have money tied up in another property which we don't want to sell.

So if you live/know somewhere that would fit the bill, please help!

weepootle Wed 22-Jun-11 11:07:09

For £200k it's not going to be the 'perfect' location, but a decent one will do!

ThunderboltKid Wed 22-Jun-11 12:37:39

Pateley Bridge, near Harrogate, is lovely. Small village, but with a really good community, butchers, pub etc Local school is excellent.

weepootle Wed 22-Jun-11 13:50:05

Thanks, have had it recommended before so it must be good! Nothing much for sale there at the moment though.

LillianGish Wed 22-Jun-11 13:51:51

Boston Spa near Wetherby.

weepootle Wed 22-Jun-11 14:04:19

Hadn't heard of Boston Spa but it looks really lovely.

LoopyLoopsBettyBoops Wed 22-Jun-11 14:11:38

Villages I would like to live in:

Ashton Keynes, Wiltshire (near Cirencester, Glos)
West Malvern, Worcestershire
Much Marcle, Herefordshire

weepootle Wed 22-Jun-11 20:06:32

All look lovely loopy, maybe a bit too remote for me though.

LoopyLoopsBettyBoops Wed 22-Jun-11 22:45:49

Ah, West Malvern isn't remote, it's in Malvern, but fair enough. You'd have a lovely neighbour, mind you! smile

weepootle Wed 22-Jun-11 22:52:17

smile Probably just because I don't know that area at all, but Malvern just looks so far from anywhere... where do you shop (other than Malvern)?

LoopyLoopsBettyBoops Wed 22-Jun-11 22:53:07

Worcester, Cheltenham or Birmingham usually.

skirt Wed 22-Jun-11 22:57:23

omg not Pateley Bridge, its full of tree huggers and blokes on the dole, pretending to be some sort of alternative practitioner. Richmond is lovely but quite northern. Helmsley is also pretty but quite remote. I cant recommend anywhere really as dont know what your needs are (am from York, lived in Harrogate)

weepootle Wed 22-Jun-11 23:16:31

grin do you mean Pateley Bridge is a bit poncey then? Richmond is lovely but I think just too far north (and near the MIL!). Haven't heard of Helmsley but will look it up.

I don't mind remote as long as it's not too far to civilisation (40 mins-ish to shops).

I'm looking to buy now but rent it out for a couple of years until I need it.

weepootle Wed 22-Jun-11 23:18:33

Oh and I'm looking for a village with plenty of character properties.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now