Talk

Advanced search

Want to make alterations to flat but Freeholder has asked for percentage increase in value?

(4 Posts)
houseoffallenwomen Tue 21-Jun-11 09:17:45

I am looking to make alterations to my Leasehold flat - create another bedroom and direct access to the garden. I have asked permission from my freeholder who has come back saying they would be entitled to a percentage increase in the value of the property as it would go up in value from the addition of a bedroom and access to the garden. Is this right? I am wondering if I should just sell up and move instead...anyone done something similar?

swanker Tue 21-Jun-11 16:20:12

They may have an uplift clause in your leasehold yes- you need to check it carefully.

lalalonglegs Tue 21-Jun-11 16:53:57

Depends what you have to pay - f/hers will nearly always ask for some sort of fee to give you permission for major alterations. Is it a big block? You may be better clubbing together with fellow l/hers if there are only one or two others and buying the freehold instead.

houseoffallenwomen Thu 23-Jun-11 13:38:12

Yes, buying the freehold would be great but don't think enough people in building could afford it. Thanks for replies, I will try to make sense of the lease....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now