Talk

Advanced search

Light shades - hurrah and curtains - wow! Help a decorating virgin

(3 Posts)
Mumswang Mon 20-Jun-11 12:52:02

we're about to move into our first own home. Which is wonderful, but I am clueless having never really decorated before.....

So, lightshades, do they usually compliment your furniture, or your walls, or curtains? I know ideally they'd all blend and hopefully it will, but we have a goldish sofa, goldish curtains, wooden floor, light wood furniture, so would a goldish light shade be the thing or too much (also not blingy gold, more beigy gold)

And, I know this is open to a wide range of answers, but would you say £160 for Sanderson fabric (silk) curtains big enough to cover a patio door is reasonable? Seems so to me but I've only ever bought £30 ones in ikea

Thanks

teta Mon 20-Jun-11 13:47:28

Thats a really reasonable price for curtains especially if they are silk.Gold is a good base colour if you want to paint the walls a contrasting colour.It will go with red,pink and teal/blue shades or even a neutral colour.The shade will be fine.If everything is gold it might look a little bland so you could contrast with silk cushions [Dunelm Mill] or even Ikea and a fur throw[or cashmere blanket] and flowers.

Mumswang Mon 20-Jun-11 14:08:42

Thanks Teta, I thought so, but now I'm suspicious hmm

Thanks for your advice. So many decisions to make

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now