Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dark floor, very light walls and dark furniture - would it work or be too dark?

(5 Posts)
newnamenickname Sun 19-Jun-11 01:18:46

House is fairly light - decent sized windows, one corner of main living room is a little shady though. Planning to paint all walls in a very light paint - a very light cream if I can find one.

Furniture/ mantlepiece is mostly like a reddish brown colour (mixture of woods for each piece - acacia, dark oak and mahogany I guess), hoping floor to be similar shade. Sofas are dark brown.

Staircase painted white, with a dark banister, but can paint it all white to lift it I guess.

Just wondering if a dark floor on the ground floor would be too much.

Gonzo33 Sun 19-Jun-11 05:49:03

I don't think so if your planning on painting very light cream. Sounds nice. If your looking to put it with the flooring in the other thread you started I think it would look really good.

mathanxiety Sun 19-Jun-11 06:02:13

The dark floor would be lovely imo, but I would put cushions in bright colours, even duck egg blue and other almost caribbean shades on the sofa or any dark upholstered chairs if you have them (but no yellow). I would leave the bannister dark, not just because white paint would look grubby immediately, but because a dark bannister would be nice.

CheerfulYank Sun 19-Jun-11 06:10:27

What math said. smile I want to see pictures, too!

newnamenickname Sun 19-Jun-11 10:08:10

Thank you very much, all of you. I'll pop up and see the floor today and see if DH likes it as much as I do. I've been looking for months, since October, so hopefully get some today while it's on offer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now