Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Arty towns in South/South east?

(61 Posts)
downtothesea Fri 17-Jun-11 08:56:20

We're still looking for a seaside special for under £200k but definitely struggling! Ideally, we need to be within 90mins drive of London but will look at anywhere with an arty/literary community.
Tired of driving into seaside resorts to see Union Jacks on flagpoles in front gardens and need to have something more 'sophisticated'.
So far I've identified all the obvious areas (I think):
Hastings, Margate, Whitstable, St Ives!, Brighton...
Being very blunt - can anyone think of any other places (doesn't have to be by the sea) where the educated quota is significantly higher than the chav/unemployed quota?

PhyllisDiller Fri 17-Jun-11 14:29:24

So posh places near the sea then! grin

Arundel is rather nice, you could pop off to 'Climping' beach quite easily (not sure that you would be so keen on Littlehampton for a beach trip though).

Bosham is also rather posh, beautiful views over the harbour to the downs. Wonderful if you have a boat as you can moor at the marina. Lovely big golf course near by too.

I'm sure there are other places that I have been to of equal calibre...

Portofino Fri 17-Jun-11 14:30:13

Broadstairs is lovely, or Deal.

Portofino Fri 17-Jun-11 14:30:53

Or Rye.

PhyllisDiller Fri 17-Jun-11 14:39:28

Yes Rye is quite 'Arty' isn't it, nice country side around there too.

JemimaHairMouse Fri 17-Jun-11 14:41:23

Wivenhoe (not a town but village just outside Colchester)
V arty and lots of academics.
Is on a river estuary and only 15 mins from the sea.

travellingwilbury Fri 17-Jun-11 14:45:20

Not sure you will find poncey by the sea for under 200k .

chav/unemployed ? NIce touch .

SybilBeddows Fri 17-Jun-11 14:49:48

Maldon in Essex was quite arty when I grew up there in the 70s and 80s but people I know who still live there say It Has Gone Downhill.

noddyholder Fri 17-Jun-11 15:01:17

What do you need for your money? I live in brighton and it is all teh things you want. I also renovate flats and houses and so have a good idea of what is on the market etc.

Portofino Fri 17-Jun-11 17:22:06

Sandwich

Sandwich 2

Broadstairs

Botany Bay

Louisa Bay

Kingsdown

Wingham

PredictableDullard Fri 17-Jun-11 17:26:02

seaside is by its nature tacky, you have to embrace it and apply your well educated ironic artiness to it but hopefullly you will be be beaten to death by union jack wearing chavs for being such a pain in the arse

thisisyesterday Fri 17-Jun-11 17:31:07

with that kind of attitude i'm not surprised you're struggling to find anywhere hmm

maybe you should start your own arty commune where only people wtih degrees can join

downtothesea Fri 17-Jun-11 18:28:34

ooooooh! rattled a few cages there! So there you have it - I'm not a fervent nationalist, I've been to university and I like the company of similar folk. I expect fervent nationalists would also prefer to mix with like-minded people and I don't hold that against them.

Brighton's a bit ripe with drugs and drink of a weekend and I definitely wouldn't get a house there on my budget.

Deal does look good - so thanks for that suggestion will check out the others too.

I'm off to look for a traditional seaside scene of a puffed-up, self rightous twat being spat on by a hoodie.

Putthatbookdown Fri 17-Jun-11 19:23:46

Seaside towns-with the exception of Brighton- are dead places full of day trippers and people on Benefits-no culture

noddyholder Fri 17-Jun-11 19:29:33

Deal is not very nice

FingandJeffing Fri 17-Jun-11 19:31:01

Aldeburgh, I always thought was quite arty/posh. Don't know what house prices are like though.

Portofino Fri 17-Jun-11 19:34:47

Deal IS very nice. Do you want to fight Noddy?

Portofino Fri 17-Jun-11 19:36:12

Conservation area, lots of nice places to eat. <<Maybe Porto is homesick>>

Paschaelina Fri 17-Jun-11 19:38:30

Don't go to Folkestone.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 17-Jun-11 19:41:25

Dover

EggyAllenPoe Fri 17-Jun-11 19:44:31

Shoreham is rather artsy - and on a smaller scale than Brighton.

200k - you might get a houseboat or two..or maybe one of the terraces near the seaside...or a tiny old terraced house in town - or a bungalow further outside town.

it is perfectly possible to live in Brighton without drinking or taking drugs. but 200k...tiny terrace in need of refurb?

Lyme Regis in Dorset ..ho far west can we go?
St Ives is arty too.

Portofino Fri 17-Jun-11 19:46:30

No, no, no to Dover, Folkestone or Margate.

Paschaelina Fri 17-Jun-11 19:46:44

Or Dover.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 17-Jun-11 19:47:07

I was joking at Dover!

Paschaelina Fri 17-Jun-11 19:47:09

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now