Talk

Advanced search

Please help me find a lovely area to live in within relatively easy reach of London.

(10 Posts)
fizzyelderflower Thu 16-Jun-11 15:54:20

DH needs to get into London once/ twice a week and ideally would like a direct train no more than an hour and half away (would do more if the perfect locations). Would like to be westish/north of London so we can get to family easily.

Need somewhere semi-rural, maybe costal in a pretty area where we can rent a 3/4 bed house for less than £1200pcm.

Any suggestions?

MummyDoIt Thu 16-Jun-11 15:58:38

North Hertfordshire is lovely. Hitchin/Letchworth/Baldock and surrounding villages.

LovingTheSunshine Sun 19-Jun-11 21:37:27

We live in Hertford (county town of Hertfordshire) & love it. We are Northerners & have been here 11 years now & it is home smile

LovingTheSunshine Sun 19-Jun-11 21:38:06

P.S. trains into London (Moorgate/Kings Cross/Liverpool Street) 45 mins approx.

neenewps Tue 21-Jun-11 14:39:23

What about Leicestershire? Villages just outside of Market Harborough are nice and a direct train from M.H.

Or Lincolnshire... just saw this

gettingeasier Tue 21-Jun-11 14:55:44

Another vote for North Herts I am in Welwyn Garden City , nice town with lots of lovely countryside on our doorstep. Trains into Kings Cross 20 mins but you would only get a 3 bed semi for the money you mentioned

Suncottage Tue 21-Jun-11 14:57:13

Bedfordshire - only 40 mins to London with some beautiful villages.

Quenelle Tue 21-Jun-11 15:00:26

Another vote for North Herts.

I also agree with Suncottage about lovely villages in Bedfordshire.

Neither is very coastal though.

Niecie Tue 21-Jun-11 15:11:36

If you want to go westish, how about heading out to Winchester? You can get a 3/4 bed house for what you are prepared to pay and you can get the coast quite easily from there too - approximately 30 minutes drive. It is within 1.5 hr commute too. Lovely place - also has the new forest within a short drive.

If you want to go North of London, there are some very pretty villages around Chelmsford or a little bit further north there is Saffron Walden which is very picturesque. You aren't too far from the coast there either. Probably Chelmsford is within 1/2 hour of the coast too.

fizzyelderflower Fri 01-Jul-11 16:34:14

Thanks everyone for your reply. I think we're sold on Hampshire/Wiltshire/North Dorset. Lovely area, pretty villages and cost not too far.

very excited now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now