Talk

Advanced search

How easy (or not!) is it to lay a vinyl floor?

(16 Posts)
said Wed 15-Jun-11 20:28:37

Or is it definitely best left to a professional? I'm thinking of vinyl in a roll and there will be minimal cutting as roll is wider than room. I've downloaded instuctions and it doesn't look too difficult but...

Thanks

said Wed 15-Jun-11 22:32:14

Anyone? Noone?

whydobirdssuddenlyappear Wed 15-Jun-11 22:34:07

It's not that hard, really, as long as the sub floor's nice and flat, but it's a bit of a pita to get it neat round the edges, that's all.

whydobirdssuddenlyappear Wed 15-Jun-11 22:34:43

Vinyl tiles, on the other hand? Piece of cake.

KatyMac Wed 15-Jun-11 22:37:18

I agree tiles are easier

said Wed 15-Jun-11 22:45:06

Yes, tiles would be easier but I haven't seen any I like that are nice/reasonably priced? Any links for tiles in solid colours? And can't you see the joins with tiles?

KatyMac Wed 15-Jun-11 22:47:48

It depends how well you lay them grin

I've been looking & fallen in love with these but they aren't tiles or vinyl....sorry

said Wed 15-Jun-11 22:49:08

I do fancy marmoleum but I want a solid colour and they look like they are a bit mottled?

chocoholic Wed 15-Jun-11 22:52:53

I did our bathroom and it looks fine.
I would suggest you make a template out of stuck together newspaper first. Obviously cut the actual vinyl with a few inches spare of the template, so you can fit it perfectly. If you leave it on the roll and full size, it is hard to cut round obstacles (as I discovered trying to fit it round the toilet!!)

pamplemousse Wed 15-Jun-11 22:57:16

Wow chocoholic you must be a master with newspaper and sticky tape! I tried to put vinyl down in a bathroom once, and I though I was fairly good at that kind of thing. Oh my God it was horrific. I will pay someone to do it forever more...

said Wed 15-Jun-11 22:59:25

Oh, good idea about paper cutout. Can I put it down before toilet and sink and then they can rest on it?

How much, roughly, does a fitter cost? It'd only take a day - small empty room

whydobirdssuddenlyappear Wed 15-Jun-11 22:59:28

I put vinyl down in my bathroom too. I was laying it round the toilet, stood up and banged my back off the boiler. Right where I'd had an epidural with ds 5 months before.
I used tiles next time.

KatyMac Wed 15-Jun-11 23:01:11

You can put it below toilet & sink (do you know I was 30 before I realised the toilet wasn't over a hole in the floor) but it makes it difficult when you want to change it

GnomeDePlume Thu 16-Jun-11 08:59:30

DH has done it but thinks it is best left to a professional as mistakes are costly (DH is an experienced property developer and does most things).

Minimum charge of £40 where we are.

KvetaBarry Thu 16-Jun-11 11:32:58

we're doing vinyl tiles in our bathroom this weekend - haven't seen much that's nice out there either, but we bought a few packs and decided which colour went best, and I'm hoping it will all be relatively straightforward! we got builders to put the hardboard flooring down first, so apparently just need to prime it with diluted PVA glue, then get stuck into the actual tiling. I'm glad to see others have managed it and survived to tell the tale grin

DisparityCausesInstability Thu 16-Jun-11 11:42:53

kveta - Please let us know how you got on - we're planning the same - hardboard has already been laid - we're doing the vinyl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now