estate agents fees(8 Posts)
We had 3 agents round to value our house 2 valued it the same another valued it higher as we have done a lot of work and it is top spec blah blah. I said to him at the time I thought it was a bit high but he assured us they had sold similar (they have) Because of this we went with them plus they are up the road. Their fee is higher but as they said they would achieve the price it was/is still worth it. We had 4 viewings saturday and 2 coming back tomorrow. Another couple who viewed it have made an offer of the price the other agents said. I spoke to the current agent and said for that price I should have stayed with one of the other agents as the extra half percent plus the drop in price puts us out of pocket. I had to laugh as he was all about the buoyant market and is now saying we are lucky to have an offer and it is good. I will let the 2nd viewings happen but if we have to accept this offer I think they should review their fees. Can I do this?
What is the difference in your offer and the value it is being marketed at?
Remember nobody actually offers what they are prepared to pay first time, say no, and see what they come up with next.
The cheaper agents will have got offers below the asking price too, very rarely does someone come in offering the full asking price.
You can negotiate on fees at the outset along the lines of I will give you (a) per cent if you sell the property at x price within 2 months, or I will give you (b) percent if you sell the property at (lower) y price within 2 months.
You can write that sort of sliding scale in to the contract before you sign.
Not sure you can do it after you have signed, however.
I know I am just not sure if I can say anything now. I renovate houses for a living and always bar once or twice use the same agent. This is a new one. I am not unhappy with the offer although it is 10% less more that they said they could get the higher price and so I agreed a higher fee. They sell a lot in this area I am slightly out of my usual 'zone' so decided to go with them. I will let the 2 second viewings happen and then see. I do think if they can only achieve what I myself told them I thought it was worth they should charge accordingly but they are estate agents so I know it is unlikely!I have signed for 8 weeks so will prob have to pay up and we are only 4 days in!
Can you subtly or not so subtly let them know that you do a lot of buying/selling and if they treat you right this time you can put a lot of business their way in the future? Why did you not go with your regular agent this time? You haven't let all their talk of big prices go to your head have you ?
No. I did get my usual one round but wrong area although they agreed with my thoughts iykwim. Then I got these ones round and they said a different price They have sold several in our area and I thought why not try. The thing is the offer price is ok if we don't have to pay the higher fee. They do know I do renovations they have seen some before and I actually bought an old house from them years ago. I will see if the 2 tomorrow offer anything then decide They would need to get closer to asking price to make it worth the extra £!
While I've got you - what is the best state school in your town for a seriously studious girl, very into reading and homework but not particularly mathsy/sciency - and a shall we say sensitive boy who is very much in touch with his feminine side?
Thinking of moving.
Definitely Dorothy Stringer. My ds went there I can,t recommend it enough especially for your son!
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.