Talk

Advanced search

Advice from landlords please!

(7 Posts)
RollingInTheAisles Wed 15-Jun-11 16:01:22

I've searched and haven't found this asked before but apologies if it's a duplication.

We have given our two months notice that we're leaving our rental property (it's two months as it's a break clause after the minimum contract length). We will obviously be paying the rent up to the end of the contract (mid August) but will be moving out in the next two weeks due to completing on another house.

The landlord has already advertised our current rented property (which is fine) but has not specified an 'available by' date on the ad. My question is... once we've moved out can the landlord rent to somebody else and let them move in even though we're still paying the rent? If they do are we entitled to any return in money or is it just something that's our choice when to move out and once we have they can rent as soon as they please?

Onlyaphase Wed 15-Jun-11 16:07:23

I had this when a set of tenants moved out early in your circumstances. Communication is the key here, you need to agree what will happen with the landlord.

In our case, I agreed with the tenants that the property would be marketed as available from the date they moved out (5 weeks prior to the tenancy ending) and in the event a tenant was found, I would refund any rent for that duplicate new tenancy period. Having double rent for any period wouldn't work for me morally and legally, as only one set of tenants can have rights to the property at any time.

I as the landlord would not benefit from this, but I agreed to this to help the tenants out.

RollingInTheAisles Wed 15-Jun-11 16:30:09

Thank you, I appreciate the reply. We'll speak to the landlords and see what they say. In some ways I know it shouldn't really matter as we can stay until the termination date if we want to, we're choosing not to based on our purchase. Having said that, it's a lot of money so can't help checking!

QueenofWhatever Wed 15-Jun-11 20:00:05

I've done the same as onlyaphase - I think it's just wrong to take double rent. Definitely speak to the landlord.

firsttimemama Wed 15-Jun-11 20:08:48

Same as Only

RollingInTheAisles Wed 15-Jun-11 22:20:52

Thank you both, I know it might not get rented early but good to have an idea of what to expect / ask for in the event it does.

maggiethecat Fri 17-Jun-11 15:39:32

As others have said, the landlord cannot have 2 tenancies operating at the same time so he cannot put someone in (and you don't have to give up keys until end of tenancy) while your term is running.

Landlord may want to put available date as end of your tenancy as he may feel like that way he is not 'losing out'. I would be wary of the landlord trying to go back in and do stuff like extensive decorating etc during your tenancy. If he wants to do this it is only fair that you reach some agreement whereby he releases you from your obligation to pay rent for the entire period.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now