Talk

Advanced search

Mortgage valuation - preparation/cleaning house required?

(8 Posts)
crochetcircle Tue 14-Jun-11 10:37:38

We're having a mortgage valuation done this week for a remortgage. The LTV might be quite tight.

Do people clean up the house for a valuation? To what extent?

Or do they make up their minds based on other factors?

lalalonglegs Tue 14-Jun-11 11:05:29

A surveyor will (or should be) making a valuation on the basis of recent comparable sales. I would always try and have the house looking reasonably neat and tidy if I were having a stranger visit but I don't think there's any need to go over the top.

Deliaskis Tue 14-Jun-11 12:03:06

I don't think you need to tidy/prepare the way you would for a viewing. I mean if the house is a complete state (which I'm sure yours isn't) and obviously neglected than that could affect the value, but not if there are a few toys around and the taps are not actually shining with polish.

D

nocake Tue 14-Jun-11 12:48:05

Unless he/she is also doing a survey I doubt the valuer will set foot inside the house. Some of them don't even get out of the car.

lalalonglegs Tue 14-Jun-11 13:23:22

We had ours valued (we were considering remortgaging) a few months ago by a surveyor and he definitely came in and spent about 20 minutes here. I think drive-by valuations have gone the way of 120% mortgages, they are ultra-cautious these days.

jenrendo Tue 14-Jun-11 13:26:07

We are in the same boat and I will give it a bit of a clean before they come round but only for my own pride. I don't like strangers/visitors to come to my house if it's a tip (which it usually is!) A quick hoover, wipe round the bathrooms and tidy up is all I'll be doing x

crochetcircle Tue 14-Jun-11 17:58:46

Thanks everyone, that's great. Fingers crossed it all works out... smile

crochetcircle Mon 20-Jun-11 18:23:46

So I did a Hoover and cleaned up a bit. Valuation just came in today fine.

It seems like the valuer put a lot of weight on what local estate agents thought. If I did it again, I'd have got the estate agents round and got a valuation from them first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now