Talk

Advanced search

Mortgage valuation - preparation/cleaning house required?

(8 Posts)
crochetcircle Tue 14-Jun-11 10:37:38

We're having a mortgage valuation done this week for a remortgage. The LTV might be quite tight.

Do people clean up the house for a valuation? To what extent?

Or do they make up their minds based on other factors?

lalalonglegs Tue 14-Jun-11 11:05:29

A surveyor will (or should be) making a valuation on the basis of recent comparable sales. I would always try and have the house looking reasonably neat and tidy if I were having a stranger visit but I don't think there's any need to go over the top.

Deliaskis Tue 14-Jun-11 12:03:06

I don't think you need to tidy/prepare the way you would for a viewing. I mean if the house is a complete state (which I'm sure yours isn't) and obviously neglected than that could affect the value, but not if there are a few toys around and the taps are not actually shining with polish.

D

nocake Tue 14-Jun-11 12:48:05

Unless he/she is also doing a survey I doubt the valuer will set foot inside the house. Some of them don't even get out of the car.

lalalonglegs Tue 14-Jun-11 13:23:22

We had ours valued (we were considering remortgaging) a few months ago by a surveyor and he definitely came in and spent about 20 minutes here. I think drive-by valuations have gone the way of 120% mortgages, they are ultra-cautious these days.

jenrendo Tue 14-Jun-11 13:26:07

We are in the same boat and I will give it a bit of a clean before they come round but only for my own pride. I don't like strangers/visitors to come to my house if it's a tip (which it usually is!) A quick hoover, wipe round the bathrooms and tidy up is all I'll be doing x

crochetcircle Tue 14-Jun-11 17:58:46

Thanks everyone, that's great. Fingers crossed it all works out... smile

crochetcircle Mon 20-Jun-11 18:23:46

So I did a Hoover and cleaned up a bit. Valuation just came in today fine.

It seems like the valuer put a lot of weight on what local estate agents thought. If I did it again, I'd have got the estate agents round and got a valuation from them first.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: