Talk

Advanced search

TIPS ON REDESIGN OF SMALL KITCHEN-ALL IDEAS APPRECIATED

(10 Posts)
Putthatbookdown Mon 13-Jun-11 22:09:16

All I know is that I want cream-and the property is Edwardian . Which extractor for example (no outside wall) if any? Appliances-built in or f/standing or both? Worktops-no idea!!!Thanks

jamaisjedors Tue 14-Jun-11 09:25:47

I would work on your layout for the moment. We are redesigning our small and awkward kitchen (3 doors plus a big window and a large cast-iron radiator) currently.

The hardest thing is the layout - working out exactly how you use your kitchen, what you will put where, what your priorities are etc.

AFter that I think choosing the rest will be easy (speaks too soon!).

Free-standing appliances are MUCH cheaper and easier to replace later plus you can use some existing stuff.

Worktops - depends on your budget - get a catalogue and look through it - you will see the prices and what you can afford.

PinkOlives Tue 14-Jun-11 10:50:31

So what does the room look like now? I have an awkward shaped small kitchen, one back door, and one large open plan opening which I’m going to reduce and a big window and an ugly boiler on the wall! No three sides join! So first solution I’m reducing the opening to the dining room because I can use that wall for extra cupboards shelving space. I’m shifting the boiler slightly and putting it in a cupboard.
Start with the kitchen triangle, sink - fridge - cooker in a sort of triangle shape. My sink is staying under the window and the hob with built under double oven will be opposite. I wanted a built in wall oven but that will reduce my precious worktop space.
I’m having a cooker hood which I don’t want! And also no outside wall but there is ones specifically for that.
I think I’m going for dark walnut worktops again lots out there and much cheaper on the net, would look nice also with your cream kitchen? Is it gloss or country style, modern, traditional?
I also wanted a free standing beautiful fridge but I'm dreaming and need to keep to clean lines in a small kitchen to avoid clutter so will get a built in 70;30 ff which is also much cheaper on net, the housing for this will have a little cupboard space on the top. So I'm going for built in for space saving and you can save on cost on the net. For now I’ll keep my existing washing machine and I don’t use a dishwasher. The wall that is not seen through the other room I’ll have some open shelving to make it look quirky and I have a few more quirky ideas.
What I’ve learnt is buy your units then everything else from tiles to worktops sink appliances on the net, you will save £££ if you’re on a budget.

Give us some more info so we can help with design, kitchen shape unit types etc

nocake Tue 14-Jun-11 11:45:49

As has been said, focus on the layout first but don't get hung up on the "work triangle". I would definately buy a free standing fridge, freezer and dishwasher but built in hobs and ovens are about the same price as a free standing cooker and give you the option of having the oven in a different place to the hob.

If you're able to describe the room, or even better post a diagram or pictures, then we may be able to come up with some ideas. You could then take them to B&Q or Wickes to get a full design done.

Putthatbookdown Tue 14-Jun-11 15:17:27

Thank you all for the great advice and effort you have put in. Kitchen is outside wall with sink and a half etc then goes to the corner with row of unts with cooker and w/top either sdie so is Lshaped. Small utility area round the corner for boiler ,w/machine on one side and fridge oppoiste. I think I have cracked the utility area. Pink Olives-which websites do you recommend? Bulit in LOOKS better- but comes up more expensive I need a hardwaring kitchen-nothing glam .I have emailed a couple of firms o Internet for an appliance deal but heard nothing yet. Going for silver/grey plain w/top to match stainless steel appliances

doughnutty Tue 14-Jun-11 15:41:21

Try to buy units that reach all the way to the ceiling. Top shelves will need a step to reach but better to hide stuff you don't use often in the cupboards than out on show on top (where they will get covered in greasy dust).

Agree freestanding rather than integrated appliances as they're cheaper and easier to replace and usually better capacity.

If you're lacking worktop space try to get a sink with a chopping board style cover and a hob with a lid/worktop saver.

jamaisjedors Tue 14-Jun-11 16:23:43

Your layout sounds like ours. You can run the pipe of the extractor fan along the top to the outside wall (and then box it in).

ellerman Wed 15-Jun-11 17:43:54

we had a 1930s flat with a tiny kitchen, the best (original) kitchen feature was a floor to ceiling triangular cupboard across the 90 degree angle where the two walls joined. Each of the 10 shelves was big enough to store full size dinner plates, all my china, slow cookers, food processor. The flat space on each wall would not have held a typical cupboard, maybe 25 cms each way. Also think of using shallower wall cupboards along one floor which would give 30cm worktop line but still leave enough floor space to move around. It feels great when it all comes together. Echo the tallest cupboards, I have that and works well

jamaisjedors Thu 16-Jun-11 09:40:05

oh that's interesting ellerman, DH wants to do a triangular floor to ceiling cupboard with our fridge in the middle in one corner of the room - it will free up a clear path to our basement door.

minipen Thu 16-Jun-11 16:56:42

depending on teh width available we used a breakast bar top on one of our walls, our kitchen is an odd shape and we'd have had a big 'dea'd area in the middle, the deeper worktop space has been brilliant, more space to serve/prepare on but the freestanding appliances (toaster & coffee machine) don't impose into worktop space. I remain eternally grateful to the salesperson who suggested it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now