Talk

Advanced search

Gorgeous house - what do you think?! Anyone wanting to sell take note of how not to do it!

(33 Posts)
louby78 Sun 12-Jun-11 13:57:37

Have you seen this, so well presented inside?!!!

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30364375.html

Saltire Sun 12-Jun-11 14:00:01

Upper Poppleton is nice thoughgrin

louby78 Sun 12-Jun-11 14:00:20

Posted this twice - sorry, thought i'd deleted it!

ninedragons Sun 12-Jun-11 14:01:47

Upper Poppleton is a fantastic name.

My cousin runs a house-staging business. If I were any good at computers I would hack into her website and replace her pristine white towel pyramids with those photos grin

ZZZenAgain Sun 12-Jun-11 14:02:32

I assume someone died and the property they are selling is inherited, something like that.

DaisySteiner Sun 12-Jun-11 14:05:46

I would guess there's rather a sad story behind those photos sad

HarrietJones Sun 12-Jun-11 14:07:51

Lot of potential but v £££££

Jux Sun 12-Jun-11 14:08:09

I commented on your other thread! It's a damn good deal.

suburbophobe Sun 12-Jun-11 14:10:10

I agree, very sad in fact. Those photos are quite shocking....

WorzselMummage Sun 12-Jun-11 14:11:34

I would LOVE to buy a house in that state.. Imagine all the exciting things you could discover in the loft shock

Choufleur Sun 12-Jun-11 14:12:00

I guess that's why it's up for auction

wordsonapage Sun 12-Jun-11 14:13:33

I'm going to be really po faced on this but I do think it's really mean to link to a home,someone had a life there.

are estate agency pictures the new Internet bedlam ?

smartyparts Sun 12-Jun-11 14:14:09

I'm amazed they have posted interior photos. Why?

And am also amazed at the price, thought it was cheap up North!?

Ishani Sun 12-Jun-11 14:58:23

I think the estate agents have a moral duty to get a clearance company in there to sort it before selling it. Aren't they meant to achieve the best price for the vendor ? I bet it's sold to a builder in exchange for a stuffed brown envelope :-(

wordsonapage Sun 12-Jun-11 15:01:32

Arf at estate agent and moral in the same sentence

ExitPursuedByAKitten Sun 12-Jun-11 15:02:40

It is two houses though, hence the price. Can't understand why they didn't get a house clearance company in before taking the photos.

ruddynorah Sun 12-Jun-11 15:06:24

How ridiculous to have not done a house clearance first.

RustyBear Sun 12-Jun-11 15:13:44

I suspect a house clearance company might have taken out the period fireplace and any other stuff of value - a lot of people would prefer to do their own weeding-out- if it's being sold as seen, there could be all sorts of things there.

wednesday13 Sun 12-Jun-11 19:52:31

Our first house was like that - smaller but similar condition. It took two lorries to clear out the junk (and this was after the sellers had moved their stuff!) but I'm glad we did it because we salvaged a few useful things too. It looked so bad that other buyers had overlooked it and it got us on the housing ladder. I'm all for property presentation but I don't have much sympathy for people who can't see past a house's condition.

I agree there probably is a sad story but it may well be a person who people have been trying to help - MNers have posted before about parents who are life of grime style hoarders and how frustrating it is.

microserf Sun 12-Jun-11 22:53:12

some friends bought an old farmhouse in a similar state, and made £££ not just off the property but the crap left inside! turned out to be rusty farm stuff. personally, would have junked the lot, which is why mr serf and i remain as poor as church mice, figuratively speaking.

lalalonglegs Mon 13-Jun-11 10:53:27

That's what auction properties look like. I'd be much more worried about what all the vegetation is doing to it rather than a bit of a old furniture inside.

nokissymum Mon 13-Jun-11 11:05:03

Yes agree, this is what auction houses usually look like, obviously the house hasnt been inhabited for a while. In need of some serious TLC.

I could see it though once done up, will be beautiful warm home.

Bohica Mon 13-Jun-11 11:09:10

There has been a thread about this house before. Apparently you can see the shadow of a ghost in the bedroom window of the first picture.

mollymole Mon 13-Jun-11 11:10:48

if it puts a lot of people off all the better for those who can see through the mess - we once bought a property in a similar state (lived in by a mid 30s woman and her 2 teenage children) for a very good price as the other viewers were put off by all the crap (and the sheep shit INSIDE the house)

Ishani Mon 13-Jun-11 11:55:30

But given the agents job is to achieve the best price for a property they should be making it attractive to as many people as possible not just their builder/developer mates. That's no doubt somebodys life's work and savings and somebody elses inhertitance. The agents shouldn't get paid fir allowing it to go for a pitance, what do they actually do for their money again ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now