Talk

Advanced search

Easy-clean kitchen windowsill - glass tiled or glossed wood?

(9 Posts)
Gentleness Thu 09-Jun-11 18:16:45

It is the one behind the sink, so will have wet handwash etc dumped on it, whatever "rules" I attempt to create. And some growing herbs. The other window already has a wooden sill.

Our tiles will be white glass, so I'm a bit nervous about their durability as a windowsill. And there'll need to be various tile cutting shenanigans and as a first-time tiler I need convincing it is really worth it.

But above all, I want something easy to keep clean - wipe&go, no risk, no brain-time required.

Any invaluable MN advice?

teta Thu 09-Jun-11 18:23:01

I am going for tiles.My bathroom windows wood has gone really manky after several years of shower-gel and shampoo being left on it.Painted wood is not that good with water.But i will be using porcelain tiles [albeit hand-made ones].I'm sure the glass tiles will be fine!.

7to25 Thu 09-Jun-11 18:57:15

you can get upvc covers for internal windowsills, if that helps

PigletJohn Sat 11-Jun-11 11:56:45

if it's going to get repeatedly wet, painted wood will not last.

jasper Sat 11-Jun-11 15:48:42

mosaic tiles?

Gentleness Sun 12-Jun-11 16:19:16

Oooh! Would mosaic tiles be more hard-wearing or easier to put on? (Bear in mind I am a complete novice. I love the look of the OriginalStyle tumbled glass mosaic tiles!

MirandaGoshawk Sun 12-Jun-11 16:22:48

I have varnished wood. It looked great for about a week. It's not always obvious that water is lying there and if left, the wood expands & discolours.

At my last house I tiled the kitchen windowsill with mosaic tiles. It looked great! Use waterproof grout.

GBR Sun 12-Jun-11 16:24:00

Our worktops run into the windowsill area and it looks great - makes the worktop area look bigger, no ledges, and easy to clean.

MirandaGoshawk Sun 12-Jun-11 16:25:34

Mosaic tiles are easy if you do your research beforehand. Look at books/internet, use PVA glue to stick them down so you can re-position them if necessary, then finally the grout will hold them in place. Is quite time-consuming but not difficult.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: