Talk

Advanced search

Easy-clean kitchen windowsill - glass tiled or glossed wood?

(9 Posts)
Gentleness Thu 09-Jun-11 18:16:45

It is the one behind the sink, so will have wet handwash etc dumped on it, whatever "rules" I attempt to create. And some growing herbs. The other window already has a wooden sill.

Our tiles will be white glass, so I'm a bit nervous about their durability as a windowsill. And there'll need to be various tile cutting shenanigans and as a first-time tiler I need convincing it is really worth it.

But above all, I want something easy to keep clean - wipe&go, no risk, no brain-time required.

Any invaluable MN advice?

teta Thu 09-Jun-11 18:23:01

I am going for tiles.My bathroom windows wood has gone really manky after several years of shower-gel and shampoo being left on it.Painted wood is not that good with water.But i will be using porcelain tiles [albeit hand-made ones].I'm sure the glass tiles will be fine!.

7to25 Thu 09-Jun-11 18:57:15

you can get upvc covers for internal windowsills, if that helps

PigletJohn Sat 11-Jun-11 11:56:45

if it's going to get repeatedly wet, painted wood will not last.

jasper Sat 11-Jun-11 15:48:42

mosaic tiles?

Gentleness Sun 12-Jun-11 16:19:16

Oooh! Would mosaic tiles be more hard-wearing or easier to put on? (Bear in mind I am a complete novice. I love the look of the OriginalStyle tumbled glass mosaic tiles!

MirandaGoshawk Sun 12-Jun-11 16:22:48

I have varnished wood. It looked great for about a week. It's not always obvious that water is lying there and if left, the wood expands & discolours.

At my last house I tiled the kitchen windowsill with mosaic tiles. It looked great! Use waterproof grout.

GBR Sun 12-Jun-11 16:24:00

Our worktops run into the windowsill area and it looks great - makes the worktop area look bigger, no ledges, and easy to clean.

MirandaGoshawk Sun 12-Jun-11 16:25:34

Mosaic tiles are easy if you do your research beforehand. Look at books/internet, use PVA glue to stick them down so you can re-position them if necessary, then finally the grout will hold them in place. Is quite time-consuming but not difficult.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now