Talk

Advanced search

anyone fancy finding me some curtain fabric?

(18 Posts)
hatwoman Thu 09-Jun-11 10:15:12

it's for a large room in a farmhouse. there are beams and exposed stone. in terms of furnishings we have tatty leather sofas and a faded persian rug - beigey colours with a bit of red. The windows are big but the room is quite dark.

I'd like something that isn't too traditional/old lady. but I'm aware that something that would look at home in a trendy loft apartment will probably look daft.

I quite like this in ruby - but have chosen it in cerise for our bedroom, and given how many lovely fabrics there are it seems a bit daft.

I like the design of this but the background is too grey. same goes for this

these are all floral - but am thinking maybe I'd prefer not floral...

Pannacotta Thu 09-Jun-11 11:33:14

Hard to choose fabrics without an idea of the room, but before I even opened your link I was going to suggest looking at Voyage, as their fabrics are quite classic and look good in both modern and period settings.
I think the Etruria red (second link) is lovely and looks good for a farmhouse, would it really matter if the background is grey?
I think rooms look better when they are not too matchy.

Pannacotta Thu 09-Jun-11 11:34:52

I meant to say its hard to choose without seeing the room, sorry, since you do desribe it in your OP.
Any chance of a pic on your profile?

hatwoman Thu 09-Jun-11 11:41:42

I've got half a curtain of it hanging up - and the grey really doesn't work. I agree re not wanting everything too matchy though. I want it to look effortless...like the work of someone who has such great taste they can chose item a (rug) and b (curtains) for their own aesthetic benefits and throw them together to look great, and original, but not like the work of some designer. sort of a bit eclectic. and something that looks modern-ish but lived in and at ease with its surroundings. something that frames the lovely room rather than taking centre stage and obscuring it.

don't want much do it grin?

hatwoman Thu 09-Jun-11 11:44:23

do I

noddyholder Thu 09-Jun-11 12:02:18

I think stripes would look great Have you considered designers guild? A grey chalky white and res striped linen would look good. Malabar are lovely too.You room sounds lovely

teta Thu 09-Jun-11 12:27:26

I would go for embroidered silks in a warm color like red or gold depending on the type of room and how its used [is it formal or casual?].The embroidery can be gorgeous flowers or butterflies in multicolors or a single colour.But i'm afraid i've forgotten the brand name.If you are interested i can pop into my local shop to find out.

7to25 Thu 09-Jun-11 14:10:19

Hi Hat,
I have just been looking at Romo fabrics. I like the Mirabel collection, the neutral prints with red in them, but also look at Floresca, Rubani and Samsara. sorry I can't do links.
have I gor the right idea with these transitional styles? More contemporary?
More traditional?
I will keep looking.

hatwoman Thu 09-Jun-11 14:21:21

some of those romo ones are lovely - thanks. my sligt fear is that they'll have the slight greyish hue that I'm not keen on - hard to tell on the computer

WhatsWrongWithYou Thu 09-Jun-11 14:21:46

Vanessa Arbuthnot's designs are countrified, but contemporary.

Forman's a bit more sugary but nicely faded.

I also like Elanbach - their designs can be printed on various fabrics - cottons, linens etc, depending on what you need.

WhatsWrongWithYou Thu 09-Jun-11 14:25:07

Sorry Kate Forman and Elanbach.

WhatsWrongWithYou Thu 09-Jun-11 14:26:14

Elanbach ffs.

manchurian Thu 09-Jun-11 15:38:19

What about something like these?

www.johnlewis.com/167183/Product.aspx

www.johnlewis.com/167160/Product.aspx

I love John Lewis...

manchurian Thu 09-Jun-11 15:39:36

or this www.johnlewis.com/179452/Product.aspx

hatwoman Thu 09-Jun-11 17:07:54

I've got a half curtain in that meribel hanging up. it's very nice, and certainly fits, iyswim, but there's a bit of me that thinks it's a wee bit too traditional - perhaps a tad boring. it is lovely though and the colour is perfect.

manchurian Thu 09-Jun-11 17:50:19

if it's for a farmhouse I think traditional is probably the best way to go though. how much curtain is there going to be? you don't want something toooo striking if there is going to be a lot of it. I think traditional curtains always look better anyway - its a traditional way of framing a window after all.

sinclair Thu 09-Jun-11 18:01:06

if we can tempt you into stripes look at Ian Mankin, fantastic quality for the price. At the other end of the price scale Jane Churchill now has a searchable website, the colours are subtle and the patterns more trad but worth looking through. We have just hung a pair of curtains in a Vanessa Arbuthnot fabric and it is lovely quality and not 'all over the high street' if that matters to you.

WhatsWrongWithYou Thu 09-Jun-11 19:23:57

Another faded linen, pretty but not all over the high street here - Cabbages and Roses.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: