Talk

Advanced search

Can I ask your opinion on this - buyer wants to meet surveyor to get report straight after survey is done???

(13 Posts)
Becaroooo Fri 03-Jun-11 12:46:02

...well, OP title says it all really!!

Homebuyers Report Survery being done on our house by buyers surveyor next friday. He is coming after to meet up with surveyor and get an initial verbal report.

Should I be worried by this? Have spoken to my EA and he says its not usual but not exceptional (?)

Am hoping its because he wants in quickly - we are supposed to be moving in 8 weeks - and that he doesnt want to wait for the written report???

Anyone had any experience of this??

noddyholder Fri 03-Jun-11 12:47:19

He might need it to be quick.

smallsheep Fri 03-Jun-11 12:51:39

I went around the house with my surveyor when I last bought, there were a few concerns on my part as the house was built in 1890, so just wanted re-assurance the wonky floors were normal and not due to anything else,
The only reason I did it was for a super quick sale, 4 weeks from start to finish.....and being an up front person I would have told the vendor immediately if I had re considered due to the survey, and its great to go around with them as you can ask question on your concern as you go around, in case you forget anything you really wanted to ask and then its too late!
So I imagine its all OK and they too want thing to move quickly.

7to25 Fri 03-Jun-11 14:09:22

This is absolutely standard in the USA and Canada. I must say I thought it was a great idea when I first saw it.

Gonzo33 Fri 03-Jun-11 14:21:36

I wouldn't worry. I have had clients who aren't interested until the survey is signed off and others that want to go round with the surveyor. Maybe your buyer is exceptionally keen.

Gonzo33 Fri 03-Jun-11 14:22:19

Should say I was a mortgage advisor until 2 yrs ago when my husband upped sticks for work.

MoreBeta Fri 03-Jun-11 14:25:41

Not many people do it but it is a good idea because the buyer can point to things and ask the surveyor questions about particular areas for concern.

I am going to go round with the surveyor in a house we are thinking of buying in a few weeks time as it is an old house. I especially want to go in the attic and ask questions about the state of the roof and get some rough estimates of costs of repairs form the surveyor as we go.

paddypoopants Fri 03-Jun-11 14:30:30

Maybe he has been burnt badly in the past - waiting around for the survey only to discover there's something wrong so this way he gets the info quick. It''s also good for you I think as the surveyor can let him know what's what- some things sound scary when written in a survey when in fact they are pretty minor. He sounds keen.

Becaroooo Fri 03-Jun-11 16:30:38

I think so....his teacher training course starts in Sept so really wants to be in by august which is fine with us and the vendors of our new property want to move asap too.

Fingers crossed!

Sushiqueen Fri 03-Jun-11 22:11:47

Our surveyor is phoning us in the evening after he has done the survey. So he can give us a general idea before the report is sent/emailed to us.

It seems to be more standard now as several surveyors told us they would do the same.

Becaroooo Sat 04-Jun-11 06:57:58

thanks ladies

microserf Sat 04-Jun-11 09:21:58

he might be like me an anxious buyer! i tried to go round with the surveyor, but the bastard EA fuckers banned it. it wasn't over any particular concerns, more than anything i was really keen to get in.

i bought the house despite being told the windows were rotten and the lounge ceiling might collapse without warning... (builders are ripping it out on monday and replacing it)

i wouldn't worry overly much.

my surveyor rang to discuss the main points before he sent through the report. it does seem to be common now.

Becaroooo Sat 04-Jun-11 10:11:49

Ah. I had never heard of this.

Tbh I was worried he might be trying to force the price down even further and we have already come down by 20k!!!

Hopefully its because he is keen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now