Talk

Advanced search

Wall colour to go with Cream Kitchen units and oak floor and worktops.

(20 Posts)
Lotkinsgonecurly Thu 02-Jun-11 22:44:06

I've bought Natural Calico from Dulux to go in our new Kitchen but it just doesn't look right. So, can anyone recommend another subtle colour thats not cream.

We have cream units and wooden worktops and floor. I was thinking of a farrow and ball colour and probably colour match for dulux Old white but they all look the same.

Anyone have any good idea, I don't mind going bold on some of the walls either.

Help please...

midnightexpress Thu 02-Jun-11 22:46:26

I have cream walls and units (F&B New White). The walls behind the units are Fired Earth Chalk Violet, with Fired Earth tiles in a similar colour and I really like it.

pooka Thu 02-Jun-11 22:47:21

Marking my place!

We have oak floors and worksurfaces and very pale cream/off white units.

Walls are currently 'Aged white' from Dulux. Which almost exactly matches the units. So much so that it looks a bit bland. Need to find a way of injecting some colour - though have good accessories like Edwardian enamel food tins (pale blue). And pictures. Am considering curtain/blind options...

eeyore2 Fri 03-Jun-11 10:37:21

I don't think you can really go with a white or cream colour here, unfortunately, it will most likely just look very very bland. How about a very pale olive colour or a very pale duck egg blue.

Marlinspike Fri 03-Jun-11 10:44:46

Agree with eeyore, greens / blues go great with oak. Dependant upon the light in your kitchen you could have a wall in a darker olive as a focal point. We had this in our last house and it looked fab!

Lotkinsgonecurly Fri 03-Jun-11 10:46:43

Glad to know I'm not the only one that is having colour issues! I really thought the cream would look great and neutral but it just looks too bland.

I've googled the chalk violet and love it. Think I would want to go a shade or 2 lighter though. Eventually we'll have tiles around the kitchen worktops but we've run out of money so it won't be for another year or so.

I think a duck egg blue or olive green is a great idea too, I'm going to get some paint samples later on.

Any other ideas keep them coming.

AllThreeWays Fri 03-Jun-11 10:50:15

How about a pale pistachio colour or a warmish coffee?

BooBooGlass Fri 03-Jun-11 10:52:08

Blue. My units are cream, with an oak worktop and the walls look really nice in a powdery blue.

ReshapeWhileDamp Fri 03-Jun-11 10:54:23

Pale creamy sage green. smile

teta Fri 03-Jun-11 10:55:32

Teresa's green [F&B] is lovely or Pale Powder [a paler version].My utility has cream units and an oak worktop and it looks lovely in Teresas green.Depending on the light in your kitchen i would also look at warmer colours like Farrows Cream or Dorset Cream or even a pinky/terracotta shade.

eeyore2 Fri 03-Jun-11 11:04:12

From the Fired Earth Kevin McCloud collection a couple that could suit your scheme are Celadon, Opal Green, Verd Antique, China Clay or Granite. In our old kitchen the walls were 'Oak Apple'. Our units were wooden, painted cream and we had cream ceramic tiles on the floor.

Smalline Fri 03-Jun-11 11:09:59

We have cream units, wooden worktop and floor and an antique red on the walls, it brings out the colour of the units, it looks gorgeous.

brettgirl2 Sun 05-Jun-11 08:14:13

We had a light terracotta shade in our old house and that looked really nice.

Karbea Sun 05-Jun-11 08:25:21

We've just painted Our kitchen in this www.dulux.co.uk/servlet/ColourAvailabilityHandler?name=willow_tree it looks lovely. And we've cream cabinets.

Karbea Sun 05-Jun-11 08:29:43

Actually I lied! This is the colour we havewww.dulux.co.uk/servlet/ColourAvailabilityHandler?name=overtly_olive.

FrumpyPumpy Sun 05-Jun-11 08:49:17

We had similar colours in last house and used dulux jungle drums 3 iirc! Loved it.

Decorhate Sun 05-Jun-11 08:53:59

I agree that anything cream-like won't work. I have cream units/oak worktops & have gone for a very pale grey on the walls - similar to F&B Blackened but a Dulux one - Grey Steel 3 - which I had mixed as kitchen paint. I don't have tiles so needed a washable paint.

outinthesticksmummy Sun 05-Jun-11 09:08:35

will come back to this......just what I need for our new self build !! now if you have any ideas for hallways/ lounges / dining rooms all with oak doors and oak floors ..................lolx

hotbot Sun 05-Jun-11 09:38:34

grey for the kitchen , ours is same

Lotkinsgonecurly Sun 05-Jun-11 09:55:41

I think I've decided on an olive green colour but no idea which shade as yet. Loving all the ideas. I really could never understand why people got so hung up on paint colours and weeks discussing them but now I can!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: