Talk

Advanced search

Ceiling drying patchy after painting

(6 Posts)
bacon Thu 02-Jun-11 15:02:20

Just painting with normal matt emulsion - this time with a paint pad. Still areas that are patchy. Last year I did the living room with a quality roller and special ceiling paint - same again. The house is 6 years old and wonder if a mist coat was done. The ceiling is dead flat so every area of variation can be seen. Some parts look shiny some matt.

Driving me bonkers as the living room is awful especially when sun shining.

I have read some threads on DIY stating its the paint, technique, temp etc but not sure if its the thickness of these paints and should it work better watered down??? If so I'll have to go back to a roller spattering everywhere.

Any experts or others who have overcome this problem????

bilblio Thu 02-Jun-11 15:10:52

Have you tried using ceiling paints? They're thick, an almost solid block really, so less likely to drip and splatter, and they're designed to not show any blemishes... I know you've said your ceiling is flat but it might stop the shininess.

bacon Thu 02-Jun-11 15:16:00

Yep, used ceiling paint - was worse in the living room, the gel seems to make it worse. Prof painters dont use it either.

bacon Fri 03-Jun-11 11:39:46

no one else help????? This afternoon I'm getting the roller out with watered down emulsion , so watch out for the splattering!!!

bilblio Fri 03-Jun-11 13:32:04

Good luck, that was my only suggestion sad

bacon Fri 10-Jun-11 14:11:23

Yep, it worked - mixing water with the emulsion. Prob due to newer emulsions are thicker now. The slattering wasnt that bad either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now