Advanced search

Is my new neighbour allowed to build a massive structure in his garden without planning permission?

(5 Posts)
virgiltracey Wed 01-Jun-11 22:43:58

Its enormous. About the size of two double garages and I can see it from all of my back windows. It's gradually gone up over the past two days and is now about 6ft tall and still going. Have been googling and it looks like he probably can given that his land is about 5 acres and so whilst it is an eyesore for me (we previously had a view of a woodland garden!) it looks like it is probably ok. Is that right?
He's chopped down some trees to put it there and that certainly isn't permitted here since every single tree has a tree preservation order on it.

In any event not sure what I'd do even if he can't build it. this is our forever house and they've yet to move in and I dont want to fal out and have to live next door to enemies for years sad

MsHighwater Wed 01-Jun-11 22:49:23

Phone your local Planning Department and ask them for advice. They should also be able to tell you about the TPOs.

Even if it can go up without Planning Permission, it will require Building Standards approval/permission. Check with them if that has been issued.

Put it this way, if they have failed to get the permissions they require, they haven't been troubled about the possiblity of making "enemies" of you...

virgiltracey Wed 01-Jun-11 22:56:56

I'm worried about calling the council and dobbing him in and then having to live next door to them. Although to be honest they have wound me up already over the past few months. We live in the middle of protected woodland. Wildlife galore here, deer, rabbits, squirrels, foxes, bats, owls, badgers, hedgehogs etc all seen frequently . On saturday we were woken up by someone shooting rabbits next door at seven in the morning. The guy doing it waved to me and explained what he was doing and told me that he knew the guy was barmey and that the woodland was overrun with rabbits and always would be but he was getting paid to come in and shoot them once a month because they make a mess on the lawn.

Makes me wonder why they bought a house here in the first place.

NoseyNooNoo Thu 02-Jun-11 10:03:58

Contact the Council - do it as soon as possible.

LIZS Thu 02-Jun-11 10:09:10

You need to speak to the council. You are allowed to erect a structure up to % of the garden space and within certain height restrictions etc without pp. However it also depends how he intends to use it for which he then may or may not need pp (ie if it is to be an annexe with services rather than storage/summerhouse) and buidlings regualtions.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: