Talk

Advanced search

NODDY or anyone else who knows about stripping

(7 Posts)
mumblechum1 Wed 01-Jun-11 21:52:38

I have an old oak table with extra leaves which has been hanging round in the cellar for years. I want to strip it but don't know how. It has horrible dark brown stain and varnish on top. The legs are sort of bulbous.

I think it's probably Edwardian. My friend has a very similar one which she bought ready stripped and it looks lovely, a light oak with I presume some sort of matt varnish.

Would you or anyone else be able to recommend a paint stripper? Or should I have a go with my blowtorch thingy (not literally a blowtorch). Or I have an electric sander but will that go right through the stain?

Thanking you.

7to25 Wed 01-Jun-11 23:22:21

Not a blowtorch, it will scorch the wood!

blackeyeddog Thu 02-Jun-11 01:16:31

Just have a go with some Paint and Varnish stripper from B&Q. Try it somewhere discreet to ge an idea if it works. I've been stripping paint from my walls and then out of interest dabbing bits on old dark furniture that I have dotted around and it does work. Sticky smelly job though.

Please don't take a sander to it, you'll wreck it!

Orbinator Thu 02-Jun-11 01:41:42

You can get paint stripper in cans - I would NOT use anything scratchy or burny on what may be an Edwardian table shock. I assume you are restoring it to its previous splendour and not sanding for re-painting, etc? You can also pay for large things to be dipped, although I've never tried that. Far too satisfying DIYing it grin

Orbinator Thu 02-Jun-11 01:43:16

Or maybe ask your friend what she used. Perhaps have her over to advise (i.e do some of the hard labour) and feed her some scones a la jardin? Oooh, i've planned a lovely day for the two of you there. I'm almost jealous!

mumblechum1 Thu 02-Jun-11 07:45:39

grin Orbinator, please feel free to come over yourself!

Friend bought hers already restored, unfortunately.

OK, so I'll go & buy some paint & varnish stripper from B&Q as suggested.

DH away for a week soon so will do it at my leisure then. I suspect it's gonna be a messy job

Thanks everyone.

Orbinator Thu 02-Jun-11 11:10:25

Good luck - use gloves and enjoy the sunshine while you do it smile
Save me a scone when the gloves come off too wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now