Talk

Advanced search

Contemporary internal doors - any ideas?

(6 Posts)
DisparityCausesInstability Wed 01-Jun-11 09:01:00

Had thought of plain flat fire doors, nice and heavy - white satin paint and good quality handles, not so keen on oak doors - just a bit over the whole oak thing and apart from that the skirtings and architrave are white....haven't really seen any doors I like that don't look a bit over-stylized and almost seem dated already.

I am doubting myself though and I guess my fear is that a flat white door going to look a little too plain and I'm taking the clean lines thing too far.

Some reassurance or ideas needed.

DameEdnaBeverage Wed 01-Jun-11 12:21:17

Try Howdens - they seem to have a good range of doors.

wednesday13 Wed 01-Jun-11 12:24:44

Sounds brilliant, does it have to be a fire door or just a good quality flush door? My parent's house (done up in the 70's) had white flush doors throughout- takes me back! There are some great architectural type modern door handles around.

Plain is not necessarily a bad thing is it?

DisparityCausesInstability Wed 01-Jun-11 12:54:48

It doesn't have to be a fire door - but I would like a solid door, a door that has some weight to it, so it feels sturdy and has some noise reducing qualities. I like plain, definitely staying well clear of victorian repro panel doors but the builder keeps directing me towards door shops in a way that suggests he thinks my choice of plain door is a bit bonkers given the attempted high end finish I'm pushing for and then I start to doubt myself.

Decisions, decisions and dh is useless - he just says he likes what I like!

manchurian Wed 01-Jun-11 13:01:12

If you are worried about it being too plain you could always go for a painted door with a small amount of panelling, but not the old fashioned type.

I'm thinking something like this - www.directdoors.com/interior-fire-doors/fire-doors-with-panels/internal-fire-door-white-primed-caprice-2-panel-internal-fire-door-with-woodgrained-effect-1/2-hour-fire-rated-door-ckb-p1095

wednesday13 Wed 01-Jun-11 19:41:02

Or in the flush doors section of M's link, there are some plain doors with just subtle panels in quarters or thirds, those look like quality ones. Not going for the cardboard/hardboard type then which my dad used to put his foot through!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now