Talk

Advanced search

So does anyone actually use their extractor hood/fan?

(30 Posts)
siobhs Tue 31-May-11 16:31:52

Am planning new kitchen and hob placement proving difficult because the extractor needs to be on an outside wall. thing is the more I think about it, I never use the bloody thing. I usually open a window...Am I in a minority or what? Would love to know what other MNers do......thanks

lalalonglegs Tue 31-May-11 16:34:21

I use mine - it's a very small kitchen and it helps with steam. Opening a window would be pretty unpleasant in winter in my house. You don't have to have an extractor that is vented, you can get ones with charcoal filters that absorb the smells internally and then you change the filter every once in a while.

sooz28 Tue 31-May-11 16:59:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ooopsadaisy Tue 31-May-11 17:02:38

No - I can't stand it whirring. I just throw the back door open.

If anyone complains that it's cold, then they can get of their arses and help - that'll warm them up.

It's just one of those things .....

HaveToWearHeels Tue 31-May-11 17:02:53

I don't use mine at all, the noise drives me nuts. Mine isn't on an outside wall either, I think the venting is built in (new house).

ginmakesitallok Tue 31-May-11 17:03:41

use mine all the time - stops kitchen steaming up and smoke alarm going off

BehindLockNumberNine Tue 31-May-11 17:06:06

I use mine all the time as I cannot bear cooking smells to linger. They mostly seem to get absorbed into my clothes and hair if I don't have the extractor on.

plupervert Tue 31-May-11 17:07:01

Ours is also on an inside wall. I have fitted Lakeland smoke and grease filters... after having cleaned it out when we moved in (disGUSTING amount of grease).

sooz28 Tue 31-May-11 17:09:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

allhailtheaubergine Tue 31-May-11 17:13:29

I use mine if I'm frying anything, or cooking anything smelly like sausages or fish.

LaWeasel Tue 31-May-11 17:13:35

Essential! This house and the house before didn't have them... you have to take the batteries out the fire alarm every time you fry anything!

siobhs Tue 31-May-11 17:22:18

Thanks all. We are in this house 9 years and have always hated the kitchen. Layout is brutal. Never realised how much planning went into new kitchen tho and am (stupidly) terrifiied that I am going to make a pigs ear of it....!!!

CroissantNeuf Tue 31-May-11 17:25:28

Yes we use ours loads.

Its very efficient but I have used crap ones elsewhere that don't do anything other than make a lot of noise.

PigletJohn Wed 01-Jun-11 14:37:50

I use mine, of course I took care to put the cooker on an outside wall where it was easy to make the vent (you can hire a core drill which makes a neat and accurate hole through the wall). It has to vent outside to do any good, but you can get ducting that will not show if it runs along on top of the wall units found in most kitchens. It is available in white rectangular plastic that is easy to paint to make it blend in.

A recirculating hood is entirely useless, except as a kitchen ornament. Not only does it fail to remove the steam and humidity from the kitchen; as it does not suck air outside, it prevents the sligh pressure difference which prevents cooking smells and steam drifting round the rest of the house. An extractor creates a slight airflow, so prevents smells drifting through the doorway.

Opening a window only helps if the wind direction causes air to be drawn out of the kitchen through the window. Otherwise it might blow in, and blow the smells and steam into the house.

If you have a house which suffers from damp and condensation, failing to use a kitchen extractor is the third most common cause.

alexandra2 Mon 13-Jun-11 13:42:42

We had the same dilemma as I wanted to have job near island which meant no extractor- against peoples advice we decided to do this and am very glad - no regrets at all.

alexandra2 Mon 13-Jun-11 13:43:17

Should say hob not job

jamaisjedors Mon 13-Jun-11 17:44:47

We use ours all the time as we have no doors downstairs so the smells etc. circulate otherwise and DH insists on it

Our hob is not on an outside wall, and in our new design for our kitchen it won't be either. You just run a tube along to the outside wall and then plaster it in/box it in.

jeanjeannie Mon 13-Jun-11 18:14:57

Yep - use it all the time. Like jamaisjedors our hob isn't against outside wall - we ran a tube along the ceiling to the outside wall...and it's boxed in with a cupboard door front.

MindyMacready Mon 13-Jun-11 18:28:49

Every day, probably more than once!

BelovedCunt Mon 13-Jun-11 18:31:39

yes loads and when i change the filter i am v. glad i do

BornToFolk Mon 13-Jun-11 18:33:39

No, because it vents into an enclosed lean-to. It also blows the fuse if you switch it higher than 1.
It's easier just to open the back door.

Putthatbookdown Mon 13-Jun-11 18:59:43

Hardly ever use it- I just open the kitchen window Mind you, we only cook max once a day> I think if I was cooking more than that I would have one

mamsnet Mon 13-Jun-11 19:01:25

Always do. Even though the noise drives me mad.

mrsravelstein Mon 13-Jun-11 19:02:35

use it pretty much every time i cook on the hob

BayeauxT Tue 14-Jun-11 10:22:26

I use mine to get 9wo baby to sleep while I am cooking tea - white noise! Pre-baby I hardly used it as a) I hate the noise and b) not convinced it does anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now