Talk

Advanced search

curtain tracks - alternatives to pelmets?

(10 Posts)
dsamm Tue 31-May-11 09:04:19

I've inherited some really good tracks in a bay window. But I'm much more a curtain pole sort of person -with double pinch pleats or very simple heading. I just don't fancy a pelmet. But hate the thought of wasting a good quality track system.
Is there a lovely simple alternative? It's a period property, but I prefer a very simple understated sort of look.

Have never done pole in bay - so any tips on bay curtain pole kits that don't cost £££££!

newnamenickname Tue 31-May-11 10:30:03

I think argos sell a bay window pole, about £40here, also Ikea have some sort of system. Just had a look and dunelm have one too (which looks a little better imo). here

I've just recently bought some roman blinds for my front bay window, not had them delivered yet, but hope they will be ok to fit- so will be getting rid of my curtains.

I had a curtain with a pelmet in my back living room, I have now replaced it with a new pole and curtain, but when I was considering alternatives - I thought about having someone come and build me some kind of mdf/wood box around where the pelmet would be (so not so fussy as the frilly pelmet), but keeping the existing tracks.

7to25 Tue 31-May-11 12:23:37

I have a bay window track and it works well enough, but my teenage boys are constantly pulling the curtains off the hooks!
if you have a good functioning track, I would go for a solid, painted MDF or upholstered pelmet (not valance) or Roman blinds in the window recesses and dress curtains, if you want to soften the look. You would then remove the middle section of track.

dsamm Tue 31-May-11 13:52:40

Thanks..
painted mdf? I hadn't even thought of a non upholstered option - mumsnet is great - could work! got me thinking...

RottenTiming Tue 31-May-11 15:11:20

Why pelmets ?

We just have simple curtain track which you don't see because it is hidden behind the vast expanses of fabric, no pole bits sticking out the top or sides, very minimalist and in keeping with the painted plaster walls of that room.

We've had various different type of finishing at the top of the curtains and I like the fact that you get less sagging of fabric than with curtains dangling below a curtain pole.

My childhood home had white painted plywood pelmets and I loathe the look. My mum maintains that pelmets stops draughts from the window if you have old fashioned wooden box sashes.

dsamm Tue 31-May-11 19:35:35

RT - when the curtains are all closed over you wouldn't see the track, but when they are open you would see it with this design and the track isn't really very attractive as it probably wasn't designed to be on display.
I'm intrigued by what you describe - what do you see if the curtains are open?

RottenTiming Wed 01-Jun-11 10:04:56

Well you see a white plastic track between the open curtains but as we have box sash windows with a wooden frame, all painted white the white plastic track doesn't stand out from the white paited window surraound to which it is attached.

If you have a curtain pole, you see the pole whether or not the curtains are open unless you have a pelmet as the curtains hang from the bottom of rings on the pole.

bacon Thu 02-Jun-11 16:49:25

The professionals use a thin lath piece covered in the fabric - looks classy. You would need brakets and a thin plyboard piece, stick and carefully glue/staple the fabric onto it. screw onto the backets. Simple.

dsamm Thu 02-Jun-11 18:39:37

bacon, would love to see that! don't think in my trawling I've seen it - or maybe i just didn't register it. where would I find a picture of what you mean? is there a name for the tehcnique?

bacon Thu 02-Jun-11 18:59:55

see this www.ontrack.uk.com/tracks/lath-and-fascia.html

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: