Talk

Advanced search

House Fire 8 wks ago still heard nothing from Insurers

(15 Posts)
Bellared Mon 30-May-11 15:11:14

Does this sound about right? The washer caught fire and destroyed the kitchen and smoke damaged the rest of the house. I've sent the insurers all the info that they need and I'm not getting any response from the rep dealing with my case. I've left her messages and emails and am being ignored. I've also been telling them to get the washer removed if they need it for forensic testing as there are scrap thieves in the area. Well, it's now been pinched.

Is there anything I can do to get things moving and what do I do now the washer has been stolen?

Thanks.

Earlybird Mon 30-May-11 15:18:12

How frustrating and inconvenient for you.

Have you tried to speak to a supervisor, or called head office? Maybe the rep is ill, on holiday, or has quit her job.

2gorgeousboys Mon 30-May-11 15:31:59

Sorry to hear about your fire Bellared. 8 weeks does not seem right to me at all. We had a house fire a few years ago and had a loss adjustor appointed the next day and he came out to visit us within 2/3 days.

Bellared Mon 30-May-11 22:56:48

Hi EB, she's definatley in work as her voicemail changes to let us know what she's doing (One day it was a meeting and she would return any calls the next day then it changed back to I'll conact you by then end of the day). I'm getting emails from her asking for information which I'm supplying but when I ask for an update I'm getting no repsonse and don't hear anything until she asks for more info.
Hi 2GB, It took me an hour on hold to get through to someone on the number I had on the policy docs then I got my mum to find me another number off the net for them as by that time we were camped out in Travelodge! It took her almost a week to come out to us as she had no car which I though fair enough but there just doesn't seem any urgency about it.
Thank you both for your replies.

risingstar Mon 30-May-11 23:40:27

bellared- this is terrible service- absolutely NOT what you have paid for.

Seriously, i would not follow any complaints procedure but would contact the office of the cheif executive- find out who it is and his address and send a recorded delivery letter for his personal attention. point out lack of kitchen- dcs requiring to be fed and the premium you have paid. through a mention of Ann Robinson and just how uncomforatable that sofa seems as well.

when i worked in claims this put the proverbial rocket up.

PricklyThistle Mon 30-May-11 23:46:54

Don't sit on this, we kept giving our loss adjuster the benefit of the doubt and thought that by being nice we might get treated with some decency - BIG mistake. Write directly to your insurers now and if you don't a response, go to the ombudsman. You can get their details on line. They like you to try to resolve things yourselves first though.

I would now demand everything in writing - and take a note of any individual that you speak to, times, dates etc, including messages left. This will be necessary evidence should you end up having to make a formal complaint.
Good luck. Insurance companies and loss adjusters make me angry

ninedragons Tue 31-May-11 03:01:19

Excellent advice from Prickly.

I got thoroughly ripped off by HSBC after a burglary - paid for years for absolutely top-drawer new-for-old replacement coverage, and when they finally sent the cheque it was piddling - not enough to replace a single laptop computer that had been stolen, let alone all the jewellery, other electronics etc. I genuinely think that insurers use stalling tactics in the hope people will give up and go away.

Bellared Tue 31-May-11 20:58:11

Thank you for your replies. I've been giving the loss adjuster the benefit of the doubt and she knows I'm pregnant with a sick husband (which both are true) and that I need this sorting ASAP but they no listen, it's like talking to my ignorant 3yr old.

I've got the complaints details but wil Google the Cheif Exec's name and write to him, that is a good idea thanks.

I put in my email to said loss adjuster that I will go to Watchdog about it and I'm definately going to go ahead with complaints at all angles. Andy Burnhams office is a short walk away so I might drop a letter into him too. They can try and use stalling tactics but I will be like teenage acne that never went away. Or like a stalker. I've got all my emails sent to them and can get my bill itemised.

Thank you all!!

PigletJohn Thu 02-Jun-11 08:10:24

is the person you are dealing with, an employee of the insurance company, or an employee of a firm they have contracted it out to?

if the latter it may help complaining direct to the insurance co as they are (I hope) paying a fee for a better quality of service so may have an interest in getting their money's worth.

Otherwise poke around the website and see what it has in the way of contact details. Also send a one-line letter stating your policy no and asking for a copy of their complaints procedure. Don't include in that letter your grumbles.

I am from the Utilities trade and have always found that a letter gets treated more seriously than a phone call or email.

MoreBeta Thu 02-Jun-11 08:22:32

You may also want to contact the Financial Ombudsman as well. Once they get involved firms have to respond to your complaint.

MaggieW Thu 02-Jun-11 09:37:26

You could write to the CE but that will take a few days to grind through the system. I'd phone the chief executive's office. Ask for his/her PA and you'll get put through. Ask for the CE's email address and follow your call up with an email.

I had to resort to this with our insurance claim and it got things resolved very quickly. I also mentioned that it was a topic on Mumsnet so wouldn't do much for their (previously) good name. Also got a call back from the marketing director who was horrified. Worth a go!

Bellared Fri 03-Jun-11 18:34:37

I got the insurance through ASDA then it goes out to RSA and she works direct for them. She got back to me saying she is waiting for quotes from her usual suppliers to see how much it would cost through them to get the items I had to replace (washer and fridge freezer) then get back to me. I don't buy it, it doesn't take weeks to get the info.
I've managed to find the email for the CE, oh what a useful tool Google is. So I'll send a brief letter like PJ suggested and see what happens. If nothing then the ombudsman as they prefer you to try the company the issue is with first before you go to them. I'll try the MN thing too, they'll surely know whay happens when things get posted on popular forums.

Thanks all!

Fisharefriendsnotfood Fri 03-Jun-11 18:42:31

We had a flood at Christmas. We paid for our own hotel, found our own rental house, bought our own temp furniture for rental house etc, all of which the ins co should do but were "too busy" to do. I hate to think what would have happened if we didn't have the money to do this.

We are now o. Our 3rd loss adjustor. When I got the new la had changed again this week I went mad and told receptionist if no one spoke to me by the end of business day (after weeks of unreturned calls and emails to previous la) that me and my two sick kids (3 and 1) would be in their office tomorrow morning along with all the drums and whistles we could muster.

I got a phone call that evening grin

Bloody nightmare though, you have my sympathies angry

herhonesty Fri 03-Jun-11 21:21:15

which insurer?

Bellared Mon 06-Jun-11 18:24:05

Bloody hell Fish! They're pains in the rear. We've had to do pretty much the same as you but we got the white goods through the catalogue and had to get a loan to replace the essentials and pay the month up front rent on this house.

HHH - I got it through ASDA then it went to Royal Sun Alliance. If no reply by the end if the week from the current adjuster I'll just email the CEO, it doesn't take 8 weeks to gret a quote from 'their usual supplier fior the fridge and washer' which I know will then be at rock bottom price even though I chose the cheaper end items.

Grr to poor customer service!!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: