Talk

Advanced search

Q about mosaic splashback in kitchen

(9 Posts)
Weta Mon 30-May-11 10:20:53

I have fallen in love with this:
www.firedearth.com/painted-desert
BUT the kitchen is big and it's very expensive...
To use it for the entire splashback would mean doing it two tiles high (30cm each), but I was wondering if it would look ok to do it just one tile high (more like a border/frieze I guess) and then have some kind of plain neutral tiles above for the other half.
What do you think?

MollieO Mon 30-May-11 10:23:21

I think it is too big to use as a border and would look odd. If it were me it would be all or nothing.

Weta Mon 30-May-11 10:43:56

That's what DH thinks too!

7to25 Mon 30-May-11 11:49:33

What about using it as feature sections in the splash back, to highlight features of the kitchen. This depends on your kitchen design and needs some artistry to pull it off!

Weta Mon 30-May-11 13:43:50

That sounds like a good idea - any tips on how to pull it off, and what features to highlight?! and what to put in the other sections?
I had also wondered about just having it in the space between the cooker and the range hood...

It's a newbuild so the kitchen design is up to us to some extent!

cuteandcuddly Wed 01-Jun-11 08:59:13

This is what we've just done:

White cupboards, grey granite worktop with 15cm granite upstand along the worktop. Where the hob is the granite goes all the way up the wall to meet the top cupboard(extractor thingy). Other than that the walls above the upstand are painted white matte - same as rest of room. I figure I can wash the wall just as easily as the tiles if I need to!

I have totally gone off fully tiled walls...

Weta Wed 01-Jun-11 10:21:42

Thanks... yes I did start wondering about just having paint with it. I'm sure that's what my parents always had! Why have you gone off fully tiled walls? just the look?

cuteandcuddly Thu 02-Jun-11 22:17:18

Sorry weta, just seen this.

Not sure why I've gone off tiled splashbacks, maybe it's just dated now, it's a bit uninspiring.

Am really pleased with our new kitchen with the granite upstands - it's actually in a holiday flat- it's a kitchenette that's part of the living area. The plain white cupboards and polished granite fit better as part of the whole room iyswim - more sophisticated maybe?

Still have cream hand-baked (or whatevery you call them) tiles all over wall of large kitchen at home - they've been here 10 years so am heartily sick of them!

noddyholder Fri 03-Jun-11 12:42:31

After quite a few years of glass and upstands tiles are having a new comeback in interiors. I work doing this and have noticed it more and more this year. Upstands are great though for cleaning. I would go with the tiles if you can afford them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now