Talk

Advanced search

Need to find quality 2nd hand bedroom funiture - whats best?

(4 Posts)
bacon Sun 29-May-11 20:54:26

Smallish double bedroom. Modern house. All needs to match. I have been looking at Ducal/Jaycee pine. But is knotty pine really tired now and look naff? What should I be looking for? I am desperate for a small dressing table but with a big drawer unitby its side, wardrobe and bedsides in orange notty pine???

I would go for a fitted wardrobe system but as we have a super king sized bed it wouldnt work.

I want quality made for heavy handed couple. Looks good. What about painted pine? I'm not keen to spend days stripping laquer and painting - unless its worth paying someone to do it. Lots of new pine is so flimsy and construction very crud.

Anyone help me please??? Thanks

PigletJohn Sun 29-May-11 22:59:42

if you like knotty pine (I don't) you will find a lot of it at a charity furniture store. I live in a small town, but my nearest city has a an Oxfam and a British Heart outlet, both in large buildings, with lots of large furniture such as beds, wardrobes, dressing tables, sideboards. They make a reasonable charge for delivery. It is mostly reasonable stuff as it is not worth their while stocking junk.

BTW self-assembly "built-in" type wardobes are usually available 500mm deep and in units 1000 wide and about 1800 high. They are usually laminated chipboard like self-assembly kitchen units, but not as thick. If you put them together tightly, and bolt adjacent units together, and preferably fix to the wall at the top for rigidity, they will last OK unless you swing on the doors. As they are only 500 deep and you can put a top-box and worktop with drawer units as a dressing table, they do not have to take up a lot of room, and I would say give you the maximum possible storage for the floor space they occupy.

bacon Sun 29-May-11 23:06:34

Not that keen on knotty pine, thats the problem but what are the alternatives? I do want decent quality stuff thats matching.

Cant do built in as the alcove is sufficient but the bed takes up all the space. It would be a perfect solution but think it mean the bed would have to go under the window.

PigletJohn Sun 29-May-11 23:36:21

if you want matching second hand, you will either have to go for white, or be very lucky. you will find a "mahogany" veneer or stain but are unlikely to get anything solid.

If you buy a set of matching knobs or pulls in brass or whatever suits you, it wil help to make them look matching. If you buy a solid, good quality knob it will also give an impression of quality and newness to the furniture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now