Talk

Advanced search

Anyone sleep in the living room so DC can have their own rooms?

(5 Posts)
DollyDoLittle Sat 28-May-11 23:06:13

We live in a typical 2 up 2 down and have 3 dc. They have been ok sharing but now the older ones ds and dd really need to have their own space. We were hoping to do the loft but really can't afford it at the moment so we were thinking of sleeping in the living room and letting the dc have a room each. Does anyone else do this? Is it a bad idea?

aStarInStrangeways Sat 28-May-11 23:17:31

We did this when my bro and I were teenagers, as we were living in a 2 bed flat. It worked reasonably well when it was just us two and my mum, although I'm sure it drove her a bit crazy at times, but things went to shit after she died and my dad and stepmum moved in. Everyone felt their space was under threat and it caused a lot of added tension, although tbf under the circumstances that wasn't hard.

frazzled74 Sun 29-May-11 00:28:17

if you and dh both happy to do this, that is fine, i have been thinking of doing this myself but dh doesnt agree.

GrendelsMum Sun 29-May-11 12:13:26

I was a lodger with a family who had one of the teenage girls in the living room to make space for me (nice family, very cheap rent). There was a sofa bed and she had a chest of drawers in the living room, but quite a lot of her stuff had to stay in 'my' room. It was OK, I'd say, but everyone has to be quite considerate about going to bed on time, being quiet, getting up early, making the sofa bed, sharing wardrobe space, etc.

My cousins were 3 DC in a 3 bed house, and they created a Japanese paper screen to form a 'wall' in one of the bedrooms to separate the teenage DS and DD without blocking off too much light.

BramblyHedge Sun 29-May-11 12:23:26

How old are the kids out of interest? just wondering as we also have three in a two up down.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: