Talk

Advanced search

In our position, is it best to buy or rent?

(8 Posts)
DrGruntFotter Sat 28-May-11 17:28:16

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Sat 28-May-11 17:50:16

'many of these houses will still be on the market, and more besides, at lower prices. Certainly prices will either drop or stabilise in our area - no chance at all of them rising significantly IMO.'

The problem is, the interest rate will most assuredly increase, so people probably won't be able to borrow as much as they did in the past at a lower rate of interest, and then there's no guarantee the prices will fall radically.

Money spent on shelter is never down the drain because you can't exactly live without it. It's an essential. No one ever says food is money down the pan.

DrGruntFotter Sat 28-May-11 18:02:57

Message withdrawn

tyler80 Sat 28-May-11 18:49:29

Going into rented for 6 months doesn't really tie you into anything. It puts you in a great position for making offers on houses and 6 months is nothing, sometimes it can take that long to complete!

When we had to move out of our last rental because the owners were selling up I was annoyed at having to get tied into another fixed term contract as we were looking to buy. 16 months! later we've only just had an offer accepted on a house and we're now in a position where we only need to give a months notice.

expatinscotland Sat 28-May-11 18:50:13

'whereas my sister is more of the "investment" approach.'

That is what got us into this mess.

It is an essential commodity, like food, electricity, crude and natural gas.

There's no guarantee as to what house prices will do, but I'd wager my last quid the interest rates will rise by year's end.

tyler80 Sat 28-May-11 18:50:37

Oh and in the time since we last moved we've seen loads of houses come within our budget that weren't previously.

mylovelymonster Sat 28-May-11 21:05:57

From what you're saying it seems to me that renting would be the way to go for you at this time. Agree with the outlook for the market, but also it would give you breathing space to complete your sale and then be chain-free for your next purchase, which is good both in being in a strong bargaining position and also, as you say, take some of the stress off of trying to set up a functional chain.

Have you seen anything you like available to rent recently? Aim to negotiate on the rent also. I don't see that it's wasted money at all, if you then have the time to see how the market fairs and to find the right house for you for the long term.
Best of luck x

DrGruntFotter Sat 28-May-11 22:42:18

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: