Talk

Advanced search

How much would you expect to pay for the following diy/home improvement jobs?

(7 Posts)
HauntedLittleLunatic Sat 28-May-11 16:23:20

Hi,

House needs to go on the market after splitting with xp. It could do with tidying up in a couple of areas first...just so I don't get a shock when I get men in for quotes what would you expect to pay for someone to come and do each of the following.

1. Supply and fit 5-6 fence panels and posts (am assuming 6' as opposed to current 4' would make more saleable due to increased privacy?

2. Paint all outside Windows & doors (5 Windows inc bay plus 2 doors) with brown woodstain stuff.

3. Decorate average sized open plan lounge/stairs landing. I assume I supply paint? 8 doors to gloss, stair banister cos open plan + emulsion walls prob single colour. Ceiling prob ok.

Ta

HauntedLittleLunatic Sat 28-May-11 17:15:05

I should say this in the midlands.

Ball park figure would be fine.

PartialToACupOfMilo Sun 29-May-11 21:27:26

Once someone has answered, you should try ratedpeople.com - you just post details of the jobs and tradesmen get in contact with you and give you quotes - you can specify how much you'd be prepared to pay too. We've used them for a plasterer, an electrician and a decorator.

We had the landing and stairs done - wallpaper hung, ceiling painted, 3 doors, the handrail and the loft hatch painted and it cost £300. Not sure about the others though.

bacon Sun 29-May-11 21:36:04

Most quality trades persons work on £150 - £200 per day, excluding materials - so you'll have to guess how long it'll take to paint (say 2-3 days).

No idea for windows but work on same formula.

Tip - ask them to order the paint under their name so you get the discount and you pay and collect.

Prob around £200 for fence depending on the quality and type of panels.

HauntedLittleLunatic Sun 29-May-11 22:44:42

TY That's useful to know.

I'm trying to work out how much I need to do to sell....I could do some of it myself (particularly the interior decorating but as a single mother could be a drawn out process. I just wonder if I can afford to get someone to come in and do it just to get it over and done with quickly.

bacon Sun 29-May-11 23:02:30

Yes, that is the problem.....DIY never happens, its messy, time consuming and can only be done in drips and drabs. I've done both sides. For the windows I would get someone in. Its amazing how the costs add up I had professionals in do paint the outside and that came out just over £2k. Very quick and extremely tidy. For small rooms I cant justify calling someone in. As a quick gestimation you'd be looking for around £1500 max which is a lot to pluck out of the air.

ANyway someone could look after your little one over a weekend?

HauntedLittleLunatic Sun 29-May-11 23:20:28

I definately need to get someone in to do the windows and fence. I am not capable of doing that myself.

I think we paid about £200 to have the windows done but that was 10+ years ago.

Problem is cos there is soo much glosswork in the lounge it will take so long. Probablly a whole weekend to prep, a whole weekend to do the gloss and a whole weekend to do teh emulsion - I just don't know if I can be bothered. I am looking around though and I might get away with just doing the emulsion on teh walls.

I have funds available...if that's what I want to spend them on. XP has the DCs every other weekend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now