Talk

Advanced search

Rent Guarantee Insurance?

(3 Posts)
Yukana Sat 28-May-11 11:06:54

I've heard this mentioned a few times before, though I can't remember where exactly. Does anyone know how much this would cost roughly per month/year?

Me and DP are expecting our first child in August, we live with my mother at the present moment and have a good relationship with the landlord (who would be willing to provide a reference when we move).

We just cannot seem to find anywhere that will rent out to those on housing benefit, and we are running out of time. We claim full housing benefit as I am in receipt of DLA and cannot work, and my DP is unemployed. (There is a mass shortage of jobs here). We do not have a guarantor as no members of either of our families will do so. (Plus only two people qualify in both our families combined anyway).

From a landlord's point of view, if someone in receipt of DSS was willing to pay for the insurance, would you be more willing to accept them?

BooBooGlass Sat 28-May-11 11:11:53

I don't see how it would work tbh. It's slightly ludicrous that you would be payign for the insurance that would pay out if you didn't pay iyswim. ANd actually, these insurance plans are a bugger to claim from- I used to work in lettings and we never recommended them to landlords. I would go to the council and ask if they have a list of landlords that accept housing benefit. And without sounding patronising, your dp really needs to take any job he can, especially if you have no housing costs atm- you would be easily able to save a deposit before august. I know what it's like to not be able to get a job, but can he get night shifts somewhere? Working unsociable hours for a while might be what he needs to do.

Yukana Sat 28-May-11 11:24:40

We don't have any mode of transport and currently live in a village that only has one bus every two hours. He's been searching for a job since January, and we've been able to find temporary one day or a few day jobs here and there, but nothing permanent.

Thank you for the information regarding the insurance, it's a shame that it's such a pain to claim from.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: