Talk

Advanced search

House (especially kitchen) looking tired and sad - cheap ways to make a difference

(3 Posts)
pollycazalet Fri 27-May-11 17:14:14

We've been in our house for over 10 years. Spent the first couple of years doing things to it - knocked a couple of walls down, had a new kitchen and bathroom. The bathroom still looks good but the kitchen is looking a bit dated now - it was MFI so is also looking a bit tired.

Our wooden worktops are also in a bit of a mess because we haven't looked after them so am looking to revive them.

We are pretty broke at the moment but am looking for some things which would give an immediate improvement, other than just painting.

The kitchen layout is basically ok - I was thinking of replacing the doors, possibly taking out the high wall cupboards (and ridiculous extractor fan which we never use and gathers dust) and replacing with open shelves. Has anyone done this?

Any other ideas? I look at my house and it feels a bit unloved.

manchurian Fri 27-May-11 18:04:56

Do you have to replace the cabinet doors? May be enough to paint them and change the handles. Different handles can make a big difference.

New tiles (wall not floor) also shouldn't cost the earth.

How big is your kitchen? is it kitchen/diner etc?

wednesday13 Fri 27-May-11 21:41:45

Various threads going on wooden worktops at the moment - sand down and use Osmo Polyx oil this time.

Agree with Manchurian that a bit of a make-over of tiles, walls and "styling" might make a big difference.

What style are the cupboard doors and handles at the moment? Is it one of those twiddly kitchens with "pilasters" etc everywhere?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now