Talk

Advanced search

Argggh..HELP-URGENT. Completed on house- missing keys

(16 Posts)
OsbegaEthelwulf Fri 27-May-11 13:23:07

I could rip my hair out over house buying and selling. we've just exchanged & completed on our house and dh has collected the keys from the vendors solicitor. Trouble is, some are missing. There is no front door key, no window lock keys, no garage door or side door key. I could scream!!! I've just ranted at the estate agent who sounds about 12 and all she can say is "oh dear". Replacing the locks will cost a bomb and quite frankly we have no money left to do so.

What can we do?

HELLLPPPPPPPPP

OsbegaEthelwulf Fri 27-May-11 13:24:25

Apparantly it was let out before we bought it and the tenant has 'probably lost' the keys! (says the EA)

mousymouse Fri 27-May-11 13:30:16

I would try to exchange the locks asap anyway. who knows who has a key?

IHeartIona Fri 27-May-11 13:35:50

how did the estate agent let people in for viewings?

OsbegaEthelwulf Fri 27-May-11 13:37:59

you're right. Tenant buggered off owing rent so you never know what she might do. Looks like we are going to have to fit new locks ourselves to save money. Blisters!

sooz28 Fri 27-May-11 13:39:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zandy Fri 27-May-11 13:40:43

We once left our keys with the Estate Agents to do viewings whilst we were on holiday. Came home to find they had lost the keys! Agents paid for emergency locksmith to come out the same day to replace all the locks.

I hope the seller is obliged to do the same for you.

sooz28 Fri 27-May-11 13:41:37

GrungeBlobPrimpants Fri 27-May-11 13:44:13

Locksmiths will do emergency call-outs, though of course will cost you a fair bit. It sounds as though you'd be wise to replace the lot anyway tbh

OsbegaEthelwulf Fri 27-May-11 13:58:19

Front door, side and garage door are locked. Only key for access is the back door which is how viewings were done. My swear box is full

sooz28 Fri 27-May-11 14:03:47

OsbegaEthelwulf Fri 27-May-11 14:14:14

Thanks all; bloody stressful business this buying and selling <head splitting>

Beanbeany Fri 27-May-11 14:21:13

I have no helpful advice but I want to donate another swear box to your collection because it sounds like a horrible situation. Having a few problems in the buying process myself and I absolutely sympathise with the fact that, having spent fortunes already, us buyers are then expected to shell out a load more through no fault of their own and with very little (it seems) legal redress. Rant over. I hope you get it sorted soon. Have a few brew and then a shedload of wine.

SparklePrincess Fri 27-May-11 14:47:41

What a bunch of arseholes! Complete nightmare. You have my sympathy.

Gonzo33 Sat 28-May-11 06:17:21

I am a LL and I am looking to sell my house soon. Before I do I will be changing the front door lock as a minimum for security purposes. I would most definately speak with the solicitor who acted for you and ask them to speak with the solicitor who acted for the LL in the sale to get him/her to cover the costs. If a tenant absconds my understanding is that the locks should be changed and charged to them out of their deposit. If this has not happened I would be very angry.

nottirednow Sat 28-May-11 06:32:57

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: