Talk

Advanced search

relocating to Derby-havent a clue and need some advice......????

(6 Posts)
salfringeman Mon 23-May-11 13:26:30

Hi,

Just found out we have to move to Derby asap and desperately need some advice and help to choose a good place (i've never even driven through). My eldest daughter is due to start reception in September and it seems the hours i spent finding her a place in a lovely school here have been totally wasted and now im worried every half decent school in Derby will be full already. Ideally we need to be South of Derby for my husbands job, but are open to anything really, just want to make this move as easy as possible for the girls.

Hope someone can help.......

treesinthebreeze Mon 23-May-11 16:02:46

Hello, do you want suburb or village? Nice suburbs in the South of the city are Chelleston and Mickleover, Hilton. There are also some lovely villages....Willington, Repton, Melbourne, Ticknall, Etwall.

Allestree, Duffield, Belper are also nice but a little further north.

Good luck!

salfringeman Tue 24-May-11 07:52:55

thanks, gives me somewhere to start so thats really helpful! I think maybe a suburb but my husband thinks we will get into a school easier in a village, this is all so out of the blue, feels like a mountain to climb at the minute.....

lalalonglegs Tue 24-May-11 10:24:43

My husband grew up near Repton and recommends Willington (has a train station), Repton (the nicest), Findon and echoes Mickleover and Littleover if you want to live in Derby itself. I used to go to Derby a lot when his parents lived nearby but they relocated about seven years ago - we went back for a weekend a year ago and it has changed a lot (for the better, imo). Depending where you are moving from, of course, housing in the area is relatively cheap - a lot of the smarter villages have become retiree destinations so you should be able to get a school place without too much difficulty - you'll probably be welcomed with open arms. Best of luck.

salfringeman Mon 04-Jul-11 13:16:49

thank you for your reply lalalonglegs, sorry I havent checked back on here for a while, really do appreciate your help! Its good to hear getting a school place might not be as hard as I'm imagining as that is the thing thats worrying me the most.....looking like a move at Christmas now, so off to explore some of these places next week!

treesinthebreeze Mon 04-Jul-11 19:22:16

Hope your visit goes well next week! Feel free to PM me if you eed any more advice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now