Talk

Advanced search

Pale grey paint suggestions

(20 Posts)
fimint Mon 16-May-11 13:29:07

Really loathe choosing paint colours so am aiming to paint one colour in hall. stairs, kitchen-diner and our bedroom.
Would like a nice pale grey which is not depressing?! And the builder just texted me to say they need the paint tomorrow! Eeeeek, help, please.

teta Mon 16-May-11 13:42:46

F&B Skimming stone and Elephants Breath or Dulux Egyptian cotton.

fimint Mon 16-May-11 13:44:28

I am actually looking at the F&B brochure now, is it my eyesight or do those colours look more beige than grey - see, now you know why I need help . . .

AitchTwoOh Mon 16-May-11 13:45:56

elephants breath is beige imo, foundation colour iykwim?
we have borrowed light in hallway, would recommend that as a blue grey.

Deaddei Mon 16-May-11 13:47:18

Just walnut- dulux I think.
Got it in massive kitchen.

kitsmummy Mon 16-May-11 13:48:25

Cornforth white is a lovely pale grey, not cold at all. We had it in our last house and would use it again. Elephants breath is definitely a grey-beige.

BCBG Mon 16-May-11 13:48:56

FB Cornforth White is a lovely calm pale grey...have it in large Victorian bedroom and always get loads of compliments on how tranquil it is

BCBG Mon 16-May-11 13:49:41

Snap, kitsmummygrin

hester Mon 16-May-11 18:01:54

F&B strong white is a very pale grey - looks white when used on its own, but a beautiful solt grey when next to white woodwork.

F&B Blackened is a cool grey, but a very pretty one - goes pale blue in some lights.

Cornforth White always looks quite beigey to me. I suppose it depends on the light in your house...

ristretto Mon 16-May-11 19:18:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HappyAsIAm Tue 17-May-11 14:19:12

Laura Ashley french grey is lovely.

KatyMac Tue 17-May-11 14:21:51

I have Egyptian cotton just about everywhere; in the conservatory it feels cool but in the hall which is dim & cold it warms up the space more than pale yellow ever did

It's a very odd colour, but I love it

Monstermuncher Tue 17-May-11 15:20:50

I have Dulux Walnut as well in my hallway and lounge. It is a gorgeous shade and gets lots of compliments

catanddog Tue 17-May-11 21:06:05

Little Greene French grey in mid or pale.....just done my kitchen and sitting room in both, and I get many admiring comments!

fimint Mon 15-Aug-11 08:40:11

Finally got around to posting decision - yes, F&B Blackened is lovely, it's a winner. As already said, cool and smart.

daimbardiva Tue 16-Aug-11 11:34:38

Thank you for posting this thread - you just pre-empted me...now I have lots of suggestions! I'd like a pale grey with a "warmish" tone. Any suggestions for which of the above fit the bill?

BettyBathroom Tue 16-Aug-11 11:53:16

French grey pale is beautiful, rich and a true grey - my architect was very impressed and that's saying something!

BettyBathroom Tue 16-Aug-11 11:54:23

Sorry meant to say - in Little Greene, it's similar to strong white F&B on the colour card.

minipie Tue 16-Aug-11 11:59:27

daimbardiva you should look at Sanderson Grey Birch Light. It's lovely and has a warm tone without being beigey or browny. If you want an even paler version (more like off white), look at Sanderson Birch White or Boulder.

F&B Skimming Stone is also very nice but borders on being brown/beige rather than grey. Same for Dulux Just Walnut and F&B Elephant's Breath.

Little Greene French Grey Pale, French Grey Mid and F&B Cornforth White are all very nice greys - they have a slightly blue undertone. (I have French Grey Pale in our bedroom and Mid in our sitting room).

Mandy21 Wed 17-Aug-11 10:48:28

We've just painted our hall / stairs and landing. Its definitely true that the light can make a huge difference to how the colour looks once its on the wall. I really liked F&B's Blackened on the colour card but I would say it definitely looks like a pale blue rather than a grey (at least in my hall). We had lots of testers but ended up with Dusk from Homebase's Sanctuary Range and I'm really pleased with it - very very pale grey. Looks white until its contrasted against white paintwork.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now