glass verandahs (ie glass roof over patio) - love/loath them?

(22 Posts)
joyousthings Wed 11-May-11 13:22:34

That's it really. Am really undecided. From a practical point of view (sheltering garden furniture and being able to open patio doors even when it's raining) I think they are great. From an expense point of view they seem extortionate. From a selling your property, point of view would I be foolish would it be something you would like or not?

fizzyelderflower Wed 11-May-11 14:15:21

Bump.

I'm interested in this too and really fancy the idea of sitting out when it's raining.

ClaireDeLoon Wed 11-May-11 14:18:10

ooh sounds interesting - have you a link to look at please?

fizzyelderflower Wed 11-May-11 16:56:06

I was thinking of something like this without the conservatory.

GentleOtter Wed 11-May-11 16:59:16

I love that idea and now want one.envy

ellangirl Wed 11-May-11 21:32:51

I would love one of these! Would love my little boy to be able to play out when it's raining too.

joyousthings Thu 12-May-11 12:54:53

Thank you fizzyelderflower that's the kind of thing roof but without the glass at sides. Yes ellangirl that's what I love about them too.

conculainey Thu 12-May-11 16:08:38

Downside of glass roofs is that they are expensive and very noisey when it is raining, the cheaper option is to install carbonate multi skinned material which is used for consrvatory roofs and comes tinted which is a help on bright days, it has the added advantage in that is is stronger (x200 times stronger than glass),safer, quieter and lighter than glass. I certainly would not consider glass over carbonate due to the cost and weight. Have a took at this link, it may give you a few ideas... www.ramsdalehome.co.uk/conservatories-17/roofing-material-30.html

sixtiesqueen Thu 12-May-11 16:44:56

I was quoted £17k for an aluminium/glass one measuring 8 metres by 7 metres. Am in love with them - the Weinor one is brilliant with the remote control awning - but £17k!!!!!

conculainey Thu 12-May-11 17:44:51

That sounds like around 10 k too much to me[SHOCK]

jeanjeannie Thu 12-May-11 21:46:15

I beg to differ conculainey but I think you'll find it's poly carbonate that makes rain sound like golf balls bashing on your ceiling...not glass hmm Make enough structures with glass to know that it's the winner every time. True it's cheaper to have polycarbonate but I would disagree with the noise element.

joyousthings Fri 13-May-11 16:23:30

1111117777777 I mean £17k! picks self off floor and goes for a lie down.
Well that's ruined that idea then.

Utopian Tue 17-May-11 15:47:46

I got one of these last year and love it, its not glass but then it wasn't £17k!! smile
www.lakelandawnings.co.uk
Think they do other types too but involve that polycarbonate stuff not glass. Good luck with whatever you decide x

Fizzylemonade Tue 17-May-11 18:11:00

I am looking at this sort of thing after we have our kitchen extension is done in a couple of years.

I always wanted an american style wrap around porch and this is the nearest thing.

I love having the french doors open to the garden, especially when it is raining just for the smell. At a house we had in the past, due to its position we could do this without soaking the lounge. It was bliss.

<fizzylemonade feeling a bit ordinary next to fizzyelderflower > grin

HerRoyalNotness Tue 17-May-11 18:32:52

My dad has a clear PVC (i think it is this), over his verandah. Great for the rain, but gets TERRIBLY hot on sunny days. He did it himself. It's just some upright supports, joists and putting on the roofing. If your DH is any kind of crafty he could do it, or perhaps a builder friend? And if it's kept simple, for selling purposes, new owner could easily pull it down if they don't like it.

sixtiesqueen Tue 17-May-11 20:41:12

I'm actually misleading you, I realised I made a typo - the £17k quote was for a verandah 8m by 4m (so smaller than I first said!).

I couldn't believe my ears...phoned another company who said 'in excess of £20k'.

They do have awnings underneath which operate by remote control....thaat solves the problem of the heat on a hot day.

fizzyelderflower Wed 18-May-11 12:38:31

Hadn't thought about the heat issue but it's one to bear in mind. Also considering this as a (much, much) cheaper alternative. Don't think it would be as waterproof but might be good on sunny days or in light showers.

fizzylemonade - cheers grin

Loulovesshopping Wed 18-May-11 14:31:26

There were some verandahs at the Ideal Home show last year on one of the show homes...Was really nice!

Dogsear Tue 12-Nov-13 22:28:56

Try Canterbury canopies under £4000 poly roof

librajimmy Tue 06-Sep-16 08:22:48

so was i, but got scalped by this lot, tread carefully and beware of their 'surveyor , just in the area, finishing off a job', who is a salesman, and double watchit, as theheir products are 'bespoke' you have NO COOLING OFF PERIOD, so you have been warned !

Rainsbrook1 Wed 22-Feb-17 09:59:58

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MollyHuaCha Wed 22-Feb-17 10:03:35

We have an open-sided non-retractable glass roof. On sunny summer days it's too hot to sit under.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now