Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about Brighton / Hove

(13 Posts)
Whatevs Sun 17-Apr-11 22:15:06

Thinking about leaving London (deep breath!).

We visit Brighton and stay in Hove probably 3 or 4 times a year for the weekend, but don't know it well beyond that. Currently living in a house in a (fairly nice) London suburb, but thinking of a flat with sea views, possibly Hove rather than Brighton? So sick of London life - if we could afford to live centrally I would love it more, but I hate living in a suburb, with all the costs of London but none of the benefits, really 9apart from the tube!).

Dreaming of walks and bike rides down the promenade in all weathers, and a slightly more laid back pace of life. Is this just a pipe dream? grin

DH and I both work from home (self employed. (DH might need to make a couple of trips a week back into London for meetings) so this would be do-able.

Thoughts? Advice?

haggis01 Mon 18-Apr-11 20:36:40

You could try posting this on the Brighton Local topic threads to get more responses and scroll through the older threads on there as there are lots about moving to B&H, areas,schools etc.
I moved back to Brighton a few years back after many years in London and am SE but go to meetings in London once or twice a month. Absolutely fine commute - especially if the meetings are near the station it can be quicker than through London on a combination of bus and tubes - but I would not want to do it every day (although many people do).
It is really nice living here - I especially notice the light and long horizons after the grey of London and the fresh breeze and love coming around the corner of a shopping street and seeing the sea.The Downs being so close by are also fantastic for getting out into the countryside.
If you have children you may have to consider cachement areas for the better state schools (which are very oversubscribed) when choosing location.
When I lived here previously I had a flat adjacent to the front near Kemp Town and I always felt like I was on holiday although it could get very noisy with revellers in the early hours winding back to their hotels - fine when I was in my 20's but with a family in tow we went further out to a house for more peace and quiet.

nothingnatural Tue 19-Apr-11 08:10:45

I lived in Brighton for donkeys years and adored it. I had a great flat on the seafront - also in Kemp Town haggis (Marine Square - know it?) which was amazing - top floor direct sea views. Then I grew up and had kids and moved to Five Ways, which is a great area about 20 mins walk into the city and nice houses, family friendly pubs etc.

My dh was commuting to London which he loathed it's an awful grind and incredibly exhausting - lots of people do it though. Eventually we had enough though and moved to Australia. I still miss Brighton though, I would move back in a shot if we could.

noddyholder Tue 19-Apr-11 14:29:31

I live in Brighton and its great esp for families. There is always something to do. I have always lived at Fiveways or Preston park for schools but am about to look at flats more 'in town' as I no longer want teh suburban thing and my ds will be 17 next month. Have just come back from a walk in Preston Park it is packed with people having picnics etc. I definitely prefer Brighton to Hove although Hove does have a lot of flats.If you don't need schools then the seafront is great. As is Preston park avenue if you don't mind a 5 min bus ride into town.There are lots of things to do here it is never boring and generally people are lovely friendly and a bit bohemian. Not many average joes here which I love Everyone is an artist grin!

smashingtime Tue 19-Apr-11 20:39:40

I lived in Hove for a while - just off the Dials. Nice area - quite densely populated but is very convenient for town and local shops. I like Brighton a lot to visit but never really took to living there although is great for families with lots of places to go and of course, the sea front!

Is very, very expensive around certain streets in Hove but there are some lovely houses and it has a real bohemian feel.

Whatevs Wed 20-Apr-11 10:26:34

Thanks everyone. Really insightful.

I'll be back in a bit, but just wanted to say thanks to all so far x

pinkhebe Wed 20-Apr-11 10:30:53

I live in 5ways, it's great with children as you are on a direct bus route to Brighton and Hove and the parks are lovely, there is a real community feel. I also used to live in the Hanover area, again a lovely community feel there too.

In fact, forget about the beach and make sure you live near a great park (if you have young children) we were at Hove park yesterday, a real buzz around it.

noddyholder Wed 20-Apr-11 10:42:48

Agree with pink the parks are where its at!

rockinhippy Wed 20-Apr-11 11:16:28

I've pretty much done as you are thinking of, my London place wasn't too far out though & in a great area too, but I still don't regret it, especially if you have kids - Brighton is a GREAT place for bringing up kids - generally MUCH more child friendly, even the pubs, I can't imagine having a veggie Sunday lunch in a child friendly pub up there, but here its a regular social event, & we are spoilt for choice.

We don't use the main beach etc as much as I thought we would - you soon get fed up of the influx of tourists, though in high - late summer it is good later in the evening, low tide when the tourists & drunken stag/hen do's have cleared off back to their hotels

We have some great schools, fantastic parks & generally lots to do, we are pretty central & I just LOVE the fact I can walk anywhere & rarely need to use buses, & really don't miss the tube at all - TBH I HATE London with a passion now - too many aggressive uptight stressed out people - glad to say I'm not 1 any more

Do it!!

Whatevs Wed 20-Apr-11 19:46:28

Oh my goodness, I want to move NOW grin

Talk to em about schools, folks!

Whatevs Wed 20-Apr-11 19:46:33

me

rockinhippy Fri 22-Apr-11 21:56:19

You might be better off posting a Schools question on Mumsnet Local - Brighton& Hove - what age are your kids?? I can only advise on some Primary Schools

Funkyflavours71 Tue 07-Mar-17 20:11:10

I have just moved from Clapham to central Hove on Denmark Villas, I have been told that it is a very sociable street. The road is noisier than I hoped regarding traffic but to walk to he sea. I really am new to this area so would love to meet for coffees if possible? Is it a nice street to live on?

Thanks

Lisa

Ppp

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now