Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Who pays for the new loo seat?

(14 Posts)
Anonymousbird Sun 27-Feb-11 16:02:02

We moved in 3 months ago, loo seat was always a bit wonky. It has finally broken (well, the lid has, the base is just about ok, but needs regular tightening to stay put).

Who pays for a replacement, us or the landlord?

The model I need looks like it costs around £40, so not exactly cheap. If it was a tenner, I wouldn't worry, just get it and fit it, but £40...

The moving in inventory notes the seat as "loose, small crack to rear".

I've not been a tenant before, is this something I approach the landlord about now, or wait until the end of the tenancy (which is in about 3 months).

Cheers

lalalonglegs Sun 27-Feb-11 20:09:09

If it was already noted as damaged, I would expect LL to replace it. We replaced ours when we were in rented because the inventory clerk failed to notice hmm that it wasn't actually fixed to the loo (just balanced there) and we couldn't cope wobbling about on it.

Panzee Sun 27-Feb-11 20:10:56

Can't you just get one for a fiver from B&Q?

TerrorFirmer Sun 27-Feb-11 20:14:08

It's the kind of thing that I would buy and install as a goodwill gesture to my LL. Think not quibbling about the small stuff helps maintain a good relationship and makes a difference when the Big Things go wrong. Not sure I'd spend £40 on a bog seat though, are you sure you can't put a cheaper one on? IKEA do decent ones for about £15.

PaperView Sun 27-Feb-11 20:17:21

Why can't you get cheaper one?

TerrorFirmer Sun 27-Feb-11 20:38:30

PS - do not make my mistake and entrust your DP / DH to purchase a replacement. He came home with a padded one shock

dreamingofsun Sun 27-Feb-11 20:40:50

as a landlord i would expect to replace it unless the tenant was negligent. but you wouldn't get a 40 one if you could get a 10 from B&Q

Anonymousbird Mon 28-Feb-11 07:49:03

It's a funny shape at the back with unusual fittings, so I think it needs to be the exact model.... I am going to scour homebase today, see if they have something cheaper that might fit, but I am not holding out much hope.

I won't send DH!

poutintrout Mon 28-Feb-11 11:19:18

We have bought about 6 toilet seats over the years (in our numerous rented houses). Not because we have unfeasibly large arses and keep breaking them but because they have always been really skanky. We're moving again shortly so fully expect to purchase loo seat number 7 soon! We just accept that it's one of those costs that we bear and wouldn't ask the landlord to pay.

A padded toilet seat???? I thought our duck egg blue was edgy!!

MrsOliverQueen Mon 28-Feb-11 11:44:54

I buy new loo seats every time I move into rented or owned...I generally leave a nicer one than was there when we moved in, I'm not sure I've paid £40 for one before though.

Most of them seem designed to fit a lot of loo sizes. I'd buy one or you might end up with a B&Q white plastic £9.99 one.

cheesesarnie Mon 28-Feb-11 11:48:11

phone the LL say its broken and add that it was listed as not good.ask where they got it and who pays.

weve replaced ours,not sure i would if £40 and through no fault of our own fat bums.

polin Fri 08-Jul-11 17:05:19

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

bran Fri 08-Jul-11 17:08:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PigletJohn Fri 08-Jul-11 18:18:13

You can get an amazing value one at Wilkinsons, if there is one near you. It is white lacquered MDF moulded wood and comes with metal hinges which appear to be chromed brass. It costs £10 and is very solid. Most cheap seats are lightweight flimsy plastic.

Keep the receipt just in case it goes wrong and they will exchange it for you.

I fitted one and found it helpful to fit black rubber tap washers between the fixing nuts underneath, and the porcelain. This grips well and prevents it moving. Cheaper seats usually have plastic hinges with plastic bolts and nuts which are not very strong. The packet of tap washers might have cost me 50p or something. You need a pozidrive screwdriver to adjust the hinges on your WC pan (you can adjust for hole spacing, also adjust the seat backwards and forwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now