Talk

Advanced search

relocating to derbyshire

(25 Posts)
pinkkoala Wed 23-Feb-11 09:07:06

what is it really like living in swadlincote, church gresley, and what are the new estates like for example woodville, priory fields, midway etc.

looks like could be relocating so would like an honest opinion as we are not from the area and don't know anything about it.

what are the primary schools like, are they big, small, what are the town facilities like.

we currently live in a county town, where the schools are huge, i much prefer a smaller school.

greenlotus Wed 23-Feb-11 22:24:51

Bumping for you as I live a bit to the south, don't know Swad exactly but the countryside around is nice and if you're at a loose end you can always go to Conkers. Ashby de la Zouch is a popular town with a good grammar school and shops but that's just into Leicestershire. That area is mostly ex-mining so probably inexpensive and down to earth IYSWIM. Hopefully someone more local will come along!

ballstoit Wed 23-Feb-11 22:27:14

Well, my brother and his partner are also thinking of moving there, so tomorrow we are going en masse for a nose! Will let you know what I think, may be worth posting in locals for Derby and Leicester as well.

Is there anything particular you are interested in other than schools?

FeathersMcGraw Wed 23-Feb-11 22:50:41

I live on one of the new estates in Woodville - moved to Derbyshire around 8 years ago from large city and love living surrounded by countryside smile

DD1 goes to Overseal Primary School as we didn't want to move her when we moved to Woodville last year. It is a smallish school with 1 class per year group and is a nice school - kids well behaved, good teaching staff etc.

Woodville Infant & Juniors is a lot bigger - 3 classes per year I think (they have a website so can check) and I know it was rated outstanding by OFSTED last time around.

Woodville High St is very busy (is the main Burton to Ashby road) but had a Tesco Express, petrol station, take aways & pubs etc. Swad itself is okay for a quick shop (as is Ashby) and has a Morrisons & Sainsburys but Burton is better for shopping (has all the usual high st suspects) and if you want to go further afield Derby has a marvellous Westfield Centre...

The villages around Swad almost merge into it, IYSWIM? So Midway is exactly that - midway between Burton & Swad! Woodville joins up to Swad at one end, Newhall joins at the other, Church Gresley on another side with Castle Gresley joined on to that!!

There are some proper separate villages around - Overseal, Netherseal, Coton in the Elms, Lullington, Rosliston - all lovely but a bit further out from the shops etc (although Overseal & Rosliston both have decent Co-ops)

The people are friendly - a real mix. It is surprising how many people have relocated here (including us!) so in our playground you can hear accents from Tamworth, Birmingham, Wiltshire, Norfolk...

If you need to know anything else let me know!!

<takes deep breath, recovers from mahoosive post>

FeathersMcGraw Wed 23-Feb-11 22:51:59

D'oh - Woodville still has the Tesco Express....

evos44 Thu 24-Feb-11 18:38:40

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

pinkkoala Fri 25-Feb-11 08:35:04

thanks for all the replies, you all seem to love it there, we are currently living in northampton, where the schools are huge, but other facilities are excellent.

are there any new build villages that are cropping up in swadlincote or surrounding areas, ideally we would like a new build property.

what a re the crime rates like there, is it a safe place for kids. Are there any clubs that kids can go to, now my dd is in to horse riding so she does that sometimes, i would need alot of things to be in walking distance as husband would be away alot.

are the people friendly to outsiders, as i wouldn't know anybody up there. are all the schools big as i would prefer a much smaller school.

please help put my mind at rest.

LizaTarbucksAuntie Fri 25-Feb-11 08:40:43

I relocated back to Derbyshire from Nptn 3 years ago and am so pleased I did. I'm further north though, near Matlock and so can't help with your specific questions. Derbyshire is lovely though good luck

pinkkoala Fri 25-Feb-11 09:15:37

ballstoit-how did the trip to swadlincote go, i am keen to find out honest answers.

another question, what is the job situation like for a mum who wants part time work, i currently work part time as a receptionist/housekeeper for a hotel chain.

what sort of opportunites are there for some type of part time work, also is the cost of living a bit cheaper for example council tax etc.

ballstoit Sat 26-Feb-11 22:01:12

Interesting. Had a wander round the town, variety of shops including supermarkets and a few independents. Leisure Centre and Dry Ski Slope.

Went to have a look at the Priory Fields development, specifically looked at Redrow new builds which are lovely. Looks like it's going to become a village, already a little play area and shops within walking distance. My main doubt would be living on a building site for the next few years but that didnt seem to bother db and sil.

Then drove to Gresley Woods and had a wander, the area is dog walking heaven. Lots of quiet areas to walk within a couple of minutes drive and only about half an hour from the peak district too.

As far as the work ops for part timers go, I guess they would be pretty good, several supermarkets and probably sales type things readily available. Is only a few minutes drive from Burton as well.

pinkkoala Mon 28-Feb-11 07:39:57

we went to swadlincote yesterday, went to the new builds on church gresley, the property is a lot cheaper there than where we are.

the houses a re lovely, but i wasn't sure if it was the right area for me.

i didn't see a play area or shops at church gresley, we then went to the wimpey new buils at dovedale park, again that seemed a long way off from being finished.

didn't see a school at all.

can anybody else shed any light on these estates and what the future plan for them is, eg schools, shops, clubs etc.

evos44 Sun 06-Mar-11 16:07:05

Gorgeous new development in Melbourne which is a delightful village with lots of shops and the local schools are excellent. Heatheron Village has lots of new properties. There is a new development in Mickleover - its enormous - but great spot and Mickleover is a good family area... There are still some very good small schools around. I live in Duffield and the William Gilbert School has around 280 children. There is a good new estate called Ecclesbourne Meadows and again the village is very family oriented - I have just got back from the delightful Movie Shakes a dvd rental shop with good coffee, cakes and bespoke milk shakes ...

mumof3teens Sun 13-Mar-11 18:01:28

I echo evos44. My 3 Ds's all went/go to Ecclesbourne school in Duffield (has just become an academy). Excellent school with v high standards. Lots of good feeder schools too.

miger1 Mon 23-May-11 18:51:18

Anybody got any knowledge/experience of Coton-in-the-elms? Looks a bit out of the way regarding schools, shops etc smile

Poppyseedchappers Mon 20-Feb-12 16:03:13

Hi everyone, I'm looking to relocate to Lullington towards end of March. Don't know much about this or surrounding areas. We walked around, spoke to people to in shops etc. Have just joined mumsnet to find out more as I have an 8 month old and currently on maternity leave. This thread is really useful. Can people recommend any good playgroups/baby groups or nurseries/childminders around this area. Miger1 - don't know much myself but Coton-in-the-Elms is bigger than Lullington. It's two miles from Lullington and where we will go for nearest shop, chip shop and curry house (i'm told by people we're buying house from). I'm really looking forward to finding out about the area, this will be our forever home so very excited to make the move but also nervous as we don't know anyone but both hubby and I are friendly down to earth people so hope that will help.

deardear Mon 20-Feb-12 16:09:36

look up Ivanhoe Equestrian for horse riding. Friend runs it with her mum and they are lovely lovely people with fab ponies as well. they have a website so google.If you want to integrate cant encourage more than going to the village pubs. yes you generally get stared at for a bit but chat away.

Poppyseedchappers Mon 20-Feb-12 20:50:34

he he chatting away shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for info.

doriszeva Fri 25-Oct-13 14:14:53

Hey All!
We're moving to Stenson Fields, Derby at the end of the month, and was wondering if anybody could give me some ideas on the primary schools around the area, which ones are best, which ones to avoid.
What the results are like, the other kids towards each other (bullies or kind etc.), the teachers' attitudes towards the children.. etc etc.
Are there any special classes ie: gardening, cooking, swimming, spanish..
anyone own experience shared would be really appreciated!!
Thank you!! smile

Sutton1980 Tue 05-May-15 22:01:45

Hello I am also looking to move to Church Gresley, can anyone guide me about any information about the area as I can not seem to find anything?
What is the difference between Castle and Church Gresley does one have a reputation to the other?
I have 2 children that would be relocating also i have done a few visits there and can see a few schools but would really really appreciate any real honest feedback about the area

purplesprings Wed 06-May-15 23:09:50

Sutton I live a bit further out in the country and only go to Church Gresley for the American Diner grin. I believe that there has been some recent developments there in terms of new estates. What sort of schools are you looking for? If you moved into one of the villages towards Barton under Needwood (eg Rosliston) that would bring you into the catchment for John Taylor's secondary school which is highly thought of locally.

Sutton1980 Thu 07-May-15 07:57:32

Hi Purplesprings
Thank you for your reply I was worried that with postings being so old no one may look at them.
We seem particularly taken with church Gresley love the feel of the place but from moving from Sutton Coldfield a town centre it's strange moving to a village. Any ideas what you could compare church and castle Gresley to? I have seen that the old church Gresley school has merged with pennine way so as yet not had ofsted but have heard good things. Just worries me that they are currently in an outstanding school and made so much progress. Any views on church Gresley itself?

purplesprings Thu 07-May-15 18:18:49

I don't really know them well enough to compare - I suspect Castle Gresley is a bit quieter. It depends what you are after. Church Gresley strikes me as being a bit more suburban. Do either of them have a community website? That might give you some more ideas.

SineadMc Sun 21-Jun-15 22:53:15

Hoping this works, I just logged in with facebook. I notice the last comment was in May but wanted to say that I live on the Priory Fields development and my husband is a teacher at John Taylor, I don't think Rosliston falls into the catchment unfortunately but they have taken from there in the past with low birth rate years etc.
My son goes to school in Linton which is right next to Castle Gresley, a lot of parents walk up the bank from Castle Gresley. I have a friend in Church Gresley also and like others have said they all sort of blend into one another lol.
Walton-on-trent is a lovely little village with a great little school & in the John Taylor catchment. My son went to the pre-school there and there was only 7 in the class. In terms of high schools around Swad , I personally don't like any of them so there is a chance we may move house before high school time . John Taylor is wonderful though apparently so would like to move closer to there.

SevenAteNine Wed 24-Jun-15 05:05:16

I have a house on the other side of Derby.

I wouldn't fancy Swad personally. But Findern and Willington are nice.

SevenAteNine Wed 24-Jun-15 05:06:57

Oh, and as a southerner who relocated I would say the people in Derbyshire are wonderful. Really friendly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now