Talk

Advanced search

Would you consider a house with downstairs bathroom?

(14 Posts)
PonceyMcPonce Sun 16-Jan-11 12:32:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thisisyesterday Sun 16-Jan-11 12:38:53

nope, wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me.

in fact, i think it would be quite handy.

PonceyMcPonce Sun 16-Jan-11 12:49:30

lalalonglegs Sun 16-Jan-11 12:54:59

Yes, my friend has this and she has really made it work in her house (I'm quite envious).

Pannacotta Sun 16-Jan-11 13:05:59

Not sure if it would put me off, is there an upstairs loo or anywhere to plumb one in?

lala, out of interest what has your friend done to make her bathroom work well?

Thandeka Sun 16-Jan-11 13:14:08

I always said it was a dealbreaker for me since I pee at least once a night post DD (and while pregnant it was 5times a night and we are planning on more.....!) but finding myself almost at completion on a house with a downstairs bathroom- however there is an upstairs cupboard which is going to be adjusted into an upstairs loo (no room for shower/bath).... (at a cost of nearly £3k! shock- I figure if I pee in it 3000 times it will be worth it- still expensive wees though!

greedychops Sun 16-Jan-11 13:15:47

I have just a downstairs bathroom in an old house with two dc, and it wouldn't put me off a similar house. Mig prefer an upstairs one too, but wouldn't be a deal breaker.

AlmightyCitrus Sun 16-Jan-11 13:28:08

I've got a downstairs bathroom and 3 DC's. A potty in their bedroom worked fine when they were little/toilet training. And I'd of probably done the same even if there was an upstairs bathroom. Stop them wandering round in the middle of the night.

PonceyMcPonce Sun 16-Jan-11 13:46:36

lalalonglegs Sun 16-Jan-11 15:00:00

Pannacotta - it's hard to explain but it is sort of under the stairs (not entirely of course, it juts out into the living area) but the living space kind of wraps around it, rather than having it stuck at the back of the kitchen jutting out into the garden area. It's a typical Victorian London cottage from the front but they've reworked the inside very atypically and cleverly I think.

said Sun 16-Jan-11 15:03:46

But won't lots of neighbouring houses have a similar set-up? So, people looking at those type of houses know that a downstairs bathroom is pretty standard in a lot of Victorian terraces.

sarah293 Sun 16-Jan-11 15:05:16

Message withdrawn

IHeartKingThistle Sun 16-Jan-11 15:15:47

We had one in our old house, behind the kitchen (Victorian house). Didn't much like it pre dc and put in a little shower room upstairs.

But LOVED the downstairs bathroom post-dc! Potty training was so much easier and bathing the kids was a doddle because you don't have to worry about the stairs and you can just shove their clothes straight in the washing machine. Job done.

The only thing I did insist on though was that we moved the toilet behind the door as it was facing the kitchen door and I really didn't want to be looking at the toilet when I was cooking!

CointreauVersial Sun 16-Jan-11 22:42:50

It's fairly typical for small Victorian terraces. Not everyone would go for it, but it is an "accepted" layout for such houses.

We had one until we moved to a bigger house two years ago. It was fine, and (like Lala describes) it worked because it wasn't stuck out at the back of the house and was warm and spacious. We're not big night-time wee-ers!

The bigger problem for me was that it was our ONLY bathroom, and with three dcs that became the dealbreaker.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: