Talk

Advanced search

Landlord question

(27 Posts)
goingroundthebend4 Sat 15-Jan-11 13:24:27

I have just had a email from my landlord saying rent is not straight and he wants it making now.I have c&p where i have made all the payment transfers and it seems that one was late due to the holiday even though i made payment on 29th was the 4th.

I have sent him email saying would he prefer me to go back to the bankers drafts that we wa susing before so less chance of them getting lost as goes through business account .Also have said of course if theres any owing will make it up asap .

Dont wnat to lose the house at all even though been loads of problems think 3 time sthis year I have been without either water or heating or both have not kicked up a stink .

Took him 4 weeks to fix toilet that was not working and the shower in ensuite has never worked

TheVisitor Sat 15-Jan-11 13:26:24

I'd be looking for somewhere else to rent. He sounds dodgy. If you've made all the payments, then you don't owe him anything.

goingroundthebend4 Sat 15-Jan-11 13:32:05

i would if could but cant afford the money up front i had real problems finding someone who take Hb in first place and the £3200 up front saving that nearly killed me and the house is perfect for Ds3 as bungalow and dd is at village school no others to rent here either .

Im working through paymenst and think there might be a small shortage of just under £100 am hoping he emails me back .

Am feeling sick with worry am hoping he agrees go back to me paying by bankers draft every month bit more of a pita for me but then it cant gte lost in his account.

I do know hes not the best i have no rentbook but I can prove that theres been a bankers draught from my account paid to his businness acount every month
and theres been few problems been slow to solve but have put up as house so right and liked the security of it want to stay for years get Dd finshed at primary before considered a move

Im getting screwed arnt I

goingroundthebend4 Sat 15-Jan-11 13:34:21

and silly things like bathroom ceiling needed redoing when i moved in he told me a month but thats 11months ago and its misisng loads of ceiling tiles ( susepened ceiling )repairs not done etc .

But was willing to put up with as did not want to rock the boat

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 15-Jan-11 13:42:48

If you're worried about your landlord evicting you for non/short payment of rent, stop panicking. But do take TheVisitor's advice and start looking for somewhere else; your landlord is definitely dodgy.

If you have no rentbook, have you at least some form of lease?

TheVisitor Sat 15-Jan-11 13:47:02

£3200 up front? !!!! That's a horrendous amount! I hope he's put it into the government bond scheme, as he's required to by law. Do you have a contract? If not, he's breaking the law. You have many, many rights as a tenant and the house has to be up to a certain standard. Might be worth having a word with Shelter as they know the housing laws inside out.

dreamingofsun Sat 15-Jan-11 13:48:34

going - not sure what your question is? if there's been a mix-up with the money and you may have underpaid him 100 he won't be able to immediately boot you out. he would have to go through the courts and any sane landlord wouldn't do that for 100 under the circumstances you describe - they would want to fix the issue with you - also courts would expect this and landlord must be aware of this

suggest you carry on emailing, so you have things in writing. have you documented the repairs? this doesn't have to be done aggressively, just a please can you confirm when this will be fixed as we agreed when i moved in that it would be a month

goingroundthebend4 Sat 15-Jan-11 13:48:36

yes i have a lease as the introduction was through a agent it was orginally a 6 month lease and the n went on to a rolling tennacy.

Luckily the deposit (1800 is in a rent deposit scheme) and i have photos took from when i moved in and can show that I emailed them straight to him also copys of photos the agent done to .But course won,t see sight of that till after i moved out .

Im going have to hope arnt I and start saving to find money up front Ll that will take Hb

Appletrees Sat 15-Jan-11 13:52:43

I think you have him by the short and cries. You don't have to leave. Go to cab. You should have contract, rent receipts, remedial work completed as quickly as possible etc etc. He is prob not declaring for tax either.

Make your demands, call his bluff ans send a short Sharp letter. He could be in trouble with civil law, the tax authorities, possibly criminal law. Rock that boat _.. ans stay in the house.

goingroundthebend4 Sat 15-Jan-11 13:53:12

no dreaming of sun

Bar when i first moved in .Any other stuff was done via phonecalls .

All i have to proof i paid the rent is Showing bankers drafts from my account made payable to him and guess bank can proove they was cashed and the other payments on my statement into his account

I notified him that one of the toilets making strange noises which then took him 4 weeks to come see and by then the pump had gone totaly so course cosy him to replace

Shower in ensuite never worked he finally looked at this before xmas and said oh its not connected and would fix but not yet .

I did not want to rock the boat as struggled find somewhere that took HB

TheVisitor Sat 15-Jan-11 13:54:14

Would still be worth speaking to Shelter, as you don't sound very secure in your housing. They'll help you with regard to getting repairs done and suchlike, advising you what you can do. As you have a contract, check on it how payment is to be made and do your payments according to that. He can't change that without your agreement. Also, if he did want you to leave, then he has to give you 2 months notice by law, and you still don't have to get out until there's a court order in place, so don't panic. As stated, do keep everything in writing.

TheVisitor Sat 15-Jan-11 13:55:25

Just to say, don't hold your breath on the ensuite shower as you have other bathroom facilities in the house. He won't have to fix it.

dreamingofsun Sat 15-Jan-11 13:56:32

as a landlord, could i suggest that before you start threatening him with all sorts of action you enquire nicely in writing when he is going to fix the things that are damaged and point out that he had agreed to do this in 1 month, or whatever the timescales were.

you mention that you didn't want to 'rock the boat' so your landlord probably assumes you were happy with everything. not many people will fork out loads of money to fix things if a tennant doesn't seem to mind.

if a tennant started to threaten me with loads of stuff i would be much less agreable to any flexibility in future.

goingroundthebend4 Sat 15-Jan-11 13:58:04

appletree the money goes straight into his work/bussiness trade account

Thin k first thing Monday is talk to CAB .

.I know if i was paying all the rent myself I would not be happy and would complain about things .Eg water takes 5-6 minutes to run hot due to boiler .The Eletric does often go of but we just press reset .Theres no smoke alarm in property ( i have my own ) and theres no saftey certifcates for anything or when i moved in

Thing is im willing to put up with everything just to be left alone .Now im feeling sick at thought of maybe being kicked out

TheVisitor Sat 15-Jan-11 14:00:26

If there is no gas safety certificate then he is definitely breaking the law. Just because it's hb paying your rent does not mean you have less rights than a non hb tenant. You have the same rights. I doubt you're going to be kicked out, but the electricity and gas needs addressing asap. Need to find out exactly what's tripping the electricity switch.

dreamingofsun Sat 15-Jan-11 14:01:02

going - for about a year the ensuite shower in our flat didn't work because the tennant hadn't told us. once our plumber discovered this we immediately had it fixed.

my point is that because you see things day in day out they are top of your mind. your landlord may be very busy and therefore have forgotten or not appreciate that they are bothering you. he may not be such a bad landlord and just need a reminder?

goingroundthebend4 Sat 15-Jan-11 14:02:03

dreaming of sun

I dont want to threaten him far from it .And rather resolve it all calmly.

And yes do think theres a elerment that he knows as on Hb im far more willing to put up with things than anyone who paid themselves.I just want somewhere to call home and be left alone .I tend to get things fixed myself rather than ask him .Even when i moved in carpets were badly marked ( yes do have pictures) but rather than insist on day i signed i hired carpet cleaner myself

goingroundthebend4 Sat 15-Jan-11 14:03:23

dreaming of sun he knew it did not work but did not want to be seen to pester him and after asking 4 times about bathroom I just decided put up with it

dreamingofsun Sat 15-Jan-11 14:04:00

oh dear. no gas safety certificate is big no no. if there is a carbon monoxide leakage and any of you are unfortunate enough to die he will get done for manslaughter. it must be done once a year and he has to have a landlord's certificate to prove it.

goingroundthebend4 Sat 15-Jan-11 14:06:56

no Gas its oil heating .The eletrics i think its just the age of the house and when was wired as its been extende din stages .HE has nevee lived here he brought land and house came with was empty for couple of years as he could not rent it out due to location ( im within the breakdown yard ) and train crossing about oh 30 yards away .Know he had to drop the rent .The house if done up and in any other location would be a lot more

dreamingofsun Sat 15-Jan-11 14:08:35

thats a relief. a non-serviced gas boiler was making feel bit ill

Appletrees Sat 15-Jan-11 14:12:48

Sure put your requests in writing first. Put all of it in writing. Including the reminders that you first alerted him whenever it was. He will them realise he can't take the mickey out of you any more. And if he doesn't, just remember, the law is on your side. I was a landlord. I don't like the ones who give us a bad name.

nickschick Sat 15-Jan-11 14:16:43

If you get HB dont they expect gas safety certs in order to prove you are living in a 'safe' home?

goingroundthebend4 Sat 15-Jan-11 14:16:44

thank you

though i do know offically Oil tank should not be next to the house and i ahve no access to boiler in locked workshop . .But then tha ts not really his fault as thats where its situated by previous owner.Though wa snot impressed when he was on holiday and it broke down and even though one of his staff guys looked at it and got it running for 10 minutes .
No fun no heating hot water for 3 weeks

But really am willing to put up with everything just to be able to stay here and get DD finshed at primary in the village .Then would look at moving few miles nearer where the senior schools are.Ds 3 is ok as he will get transport to ss anyway .And dd senior school is likely be same area as ds3

But do think im going to start putting a but away just in case anything goes worng if not now in the future
Im going to sit tight see what he emails me back .

goingroundthebend4 Sat 15-Jan-11 14:17:49

and opps the typos sorry its just im upset and worried sick

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now