Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about living in Sutton (or somewhere else that might work)

(24 Posts)
aStarWithHerOwnWays Thu 13-Jan-11 19:33:07

DH is very likely to be taking a new job in Farringdon any day now (has had several interviews and one offer so far, is waiting to hear back from everyone before making a decision). We currently live in E Mids so will be looking at moving back down South in fairly short order, and I'm trying to get a feel for where might be good to go.

We have a 2yo DS and another baby on the way. DH would like to be on an overground line into Farringdon so we're looking at places like Sutton, but are open to suggestions. I am from SE London originally but have very mixed feelings about living in London proper again. We're renting atm and would be renting once we move, but hope to buy in a year or two depending on how life goes.

Can anyone tell me what living in Sutton is like for families with young DC? Any help or alternative suggestions much appreciated Thanks.

CointreauVersial Thu 13-Jan-11 22:37:04

Sutton has a reputation for being rough as a bear's arse......but the rail links are good. There are nicer areas not too far away (e.g. Banstead), or if you want to be further out, there are rural areas within reach of Redhill or Gatwick stations.

ClaireDeLoon Thu 13-Jan-11 22:46:55

Carshalton, close to Sutton but still on Thameslink is better but not sure how it is for young DC, sorry.

ClaireDeLoon Thu 13-Jan-11 22:48:00

Sorry - should have said Sutton/Carshalton I do know have very good schools, quite a few grammars.

CointreauVersial Thu 13-Jan-11 23:01:00

Oh yes, good point, Sutton (unlike most of Surrey) has the Grammar School system, if that's what floats your boat.

Decorhate Fri 14-Jan-11 11:53:16

Or you could stay north of London - the Thameslink overground line goes into Farringdon, around 25-30 minutes from lovely towns like St Albans & Harpenden. They are expensive to buy in though. What's your rental budget?

wombly Fri 14-Jan-11 11:57:04

I don't live in Carshalton but I love it for shopping and visiting with kids - it has tons of kid-friendly provision.

Wallington, next to it, is rough in parts but very green and villagey in others.

Both better than Sutton itself IMO.

mangoandlime Fri 14-Jan-11 12:05:22

I don't like Sutton - carshalton is ok - quiet. I'd be looking at Tattenham Corner or Nork for Banstead Station.

mangoandlime Fri 14-Jan-11 12:07:40

Redhill has been mentioned - Pit of the Earth.

greenlotus Fri 14-Jan-11 12:50:39

If you think you might want to visit friends/family back in the E Mids it's a load easier starting from Hertfordshire than from Surrey. Friday nights on the M25 are GRIM.

aStarWithHerOwnWays Fri 14-Jan-11 14:12:23

North of London <shudder> wink

We won't be visiting the E Mids, I shouldn't think - all our family and most of our friends are down south, which is part of the reason for the move.

Interesting to hear so much Sutton hate; I read the 'Crystal Palace/Sutton/Catford?' thread on here and the few Sutton dwellers who posted on it were very positive about the place.

DH used to work in Banstead so he knows the area, but it's an extra bit of time on his journey/cost on the season ticket. Rental budget is max £900pcm.

aStarWithHerOwnWays Fri 14-Jan-11 14:13:00

Oh, and thanks for all posts so far

mangoandlime Fri 14-Jan-11 14:45:48

Just a thought..have you looked into Guildford, Leatherhead, Reigate?

confusedperson Fri 14-Jan-11 15:12:03

From my research, Carshalton is rough and Carshalton Beeches is much better. Around Sutton Common is rough and south Sutton is much better. Haven't experienced personally though...

86Pinkle Fri 14-Jan-11 16:24:13

I am from Carhshalton originally and found it really nice area to grow up (Wrythe Green Area), there is a big park with the river and ponds and Westcroft leisure centre and I believe the college now has a swimming pool too for public use. Also great transport links.

86Pinkle Fri 14-Jan-11 17:14:21

*Carshalton

Ewe Fri 14-Jan-11 17:20:51

Cheam is lovely and just one stop/a few minutes from Sutton. Would be worth the train change. The road from Sutton to Cheam Village has lots of nice houses along it and off it and your DH could cycle to station or even walk depending on which end.

Cheam is great for young children, huge park - Nonsuch - and lots of little baby groups. Those Thameslink trains can be rather irregular/unreliable in my experience so you would also need to look for the alternative route too.

Also, 900pcm might be a stretch if you want a garden etc. I live in nearby town which is more expensive but not dramatically so and my flat is on the Market for £1300 per month. It's a 2 bed on the 3rd floor.

aStarWithHerOwnWays Sun 16-Jan-11 22:35:11

Thanks for all your help so far, it is much appreciated Cheam does look lovely, so I think we're going to look there as well as Sutton.

I'm not too bothered about a garden if there's loads of green space nearby - I grew up in a flat near one of the royal parks and it was absolutely great.

HollyBollyBooBoo Mon 17-Jan-11 03:45:13

aStarWithHerOwnWays have you seen the prices of rented accommodation around that area compared to E.Mids?!

We thought we were going to be based around that way a while ago and I almost died at the prices - although you probably know that already if you're from that region!

aStarWithHerOwnWays Mon 17-Jan-11 12:16:43

Yes, we've had a good look. It should be fine and it's really reasonable compared to a lot of the 'naice' areas of London.

I'm from Blackheath and would move there in a heartbeat if I could, but sadly my lottery numbers never seem to come up.

Summerbird73 Mon 17-Jan-11 16:15:15

See i used to live in Sutton and i didnt think it was that rough. The High St is a bit - erhem - merry on a Friday night and i agree that South Sutton (towards Banstead) is much nicer.

Cheam is lovely but i would go for Carshalton or Banstead. You seem to be quite positive about it all so good luck smile

However if you were to go farther afield then i can highly recommend Reigate, my dad wanted me to buy there (funnily enough he wasnt prepared to stump up the requisite £300k but there you go!) My friend lives there and it is soooo lovely.

CointreauVersial Mon 17-Jan-11 17:27:49

Yeah, Reigate is nice, and within easy reach of Redhill station which has good connections. Just don't live in Redhill.

superbrain Wed 02-Apr-14 16:55:50

We have recently moved to Sutton from Kew and Wimbledon. TBH there is very little diff in terms of daily activities. Huge town, high working population, very convenient for everything that you need to buy, great restaurants and of course brilliant transport service to everywhere( hubby works in the city). Sat night around mid night is a bit loud with kids coming out of clubs and pubs but with all of the brilliant schools, you will find that it is a very family orientated area for all of the other time. Sutton Council are great, very fast and friendly service. With the huge upgrade about to take place, new station area, hotel, shops etc, Sutton is a hidden gem in our opinion. We do not regret moving here for a second, also got a lovely house with a lovely garden for the price of an apartment that we would only be able to afford in Wimbledon, which is just 15 minutes train journey away. Sutton is changing fast though, lots of city folk moving in so be quick if you want bricks to call your own. Also the third safest borough in London!

Forago Wed 02-Apr-14 17:18:31

Reigate is crap for commuting (and vastly inflated London price housing and schools no one can get into unless you buy a million plus house next door). Redhill goes into London Bridge or Victoria I think so he'd have to change at East Croydon (no biggie really). Redhill is not THAT bad in places and is, I think, getting better as the overspill effect from Reigate and Caterham kicks in.

However that change is going to make his journey around an hour from anywhere around there - hence why you are looking at Sutton I guess.

Isn't Cross Rail going there? which opens up Dorking/Epsom way?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now