Talk

Advanced search

Can my landlord give keys to workmen?

(7 Posts)
Tiredmumno1 Sat 08-Jan-11 17:13:46

Hi all,

our boiler needs a system flush as it is contaminated.

the boiler man called to arrange a day, he said thursday, i said thats fine, asked what time he said 9, so i asked if he could make it 9.30, so the kids could be taken to school, he said no, i will be there at 9, your landlady has given me keys shock, he is actually talking about my landlords wife.

they never informed us, it was just the workman that said it, which i am guessing is a friend of theirs, is this not wrong, i only asked for him to make it half hour later, i do not like the thought that someone else has got keys.

i find it creepy, and he was a bit offhanded aswell.

any advice would be great

LIZS Sat 08-Jan-11 18:13:38

I think they can if you are given due notice, for the likes of essential maintenance work.

Tiredmumno1 Sat 08-Jan-11 18:39:55

Well it just would have been nice to have been informed by the ll, and not his worker mate, that he already has the keys but isnt due til thursday

thanks for replying btw smile

herhonesty Sun 09-Jan-11 14:38:06

I am afraid if they give you notice you do have to allow access.

YesMaam Sun 09-Jan-11 20:10:23

You are giving them access - at a time suitable to you. If you said no you cannot come at 9am and they let themselves in the landlord is in breach of the covenant of quiet and peaceful enjoyment. Leave a note on the door telling the workman he is NOT allowed in until you return, as you are within your rights to do.

YesMaam Sun 09-Jan-11 20:11:41

Or since it is thursday, call your landlord and tell them the workman is not permitted to come into the property without you being there. This is not an emergency situation so they have no right to do work without you being there if you so chose

dreamingofsun Mon 10-Jan-11 15:57:38

it depends on whats written in your contract. we have a clause that allows access for building work.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: