Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen design - can I put a tall fridge next to an oven and hob?

(12 Posts)
thereistheball Thu 06-Jan-11 21:30:09

We are thinking of moving into a new-build rented flat without a kitchen. The only thing in place is a sink with cupboard underneath. The kitchen space is small - 3mx2m - in a U shape but with the right hand side constrained to a depth of 35cm. The sockets and outlets have all been done and dictate that the fridge will be next to the oven.

- Is this OK?
- Is it possible to put a large fridge next to a hob, or does it have to be an under-the-counter fridge?

I've seen advice that says that a hob shouldn't be next to a tall appliance: why is this? Elsewhere in the same document it mentions that pan handles should have room to be able to sit to the side, which makes sense but tbh I'd rather put up with inward-pointing handles than a half-size fridge with no freezer. Is that the only concern?

NB We are in Paris where apparently it is entirely normal for renters to have to install their own kitchens. For obvious reasons, we want to do this as cheaply as possible while creating something liveable-with.

Thanks!

AMumInScotland Thu 06-Jan-11 21:41:56

I think for practicality it is better to have a flat worktop either side of the hob - but if you are stuck for space I expect you'd live with it! Specially if you can make sure you have plenty of worktop the other side.

MaryMungo Thu 06-Jan-11 21:43:11

I've a tall fridge next to an oven and hob. The only problem I have is that the side of the fridge gets filthy from the cooking, and it's a nuisance when something falls into the gap. I also vaguely worry that it makes the fridge use more energy to stay cool when the oven is on, but they're probably insulated enough that it's not an actual problem. I turn my pan handles to the center of the hob.

greenlotus Thu 06-Jan-11 21:48:01

can you put the fridge on the other side of the sink to the hob, in the corner, so the short side has only the cooker and some worksurface for working on. then on your opposite narrow wall (after leaving room for fridge doors to open) have a shallow but tall unit with doors/shelves for all your storage.

greenlotus Thu 06-Jan-11 21:49:55

Sorry did not read about the socket. But if you are paying for a kitchen to be put in I'd buy an extension lead to have the fridge in a better place & run it under the units!

greenlotus Thu 06-Jan-11 21:50:47

We did have a cooker next to the wall in a rented place once, I don't remember it being a show stopper TBH.

lalalonglegs Thu 06-Jan-11 21:51:35

If the only thing in place is the sink, I'd suck it up and pay a couple of hundred quid extra to have sockets and possibly plumbing rejigged so that I got a better layout (or I'd put pressure on developer to do that for me).

thereistheball Fri 07-Jan-11 06:37:18

Thanks everyone.

Greenlotus - the short side of the room (facing as you enter) is going to be my only work-surface, so if I move the fridge to the far corner I lose 30% of it, and split the surface up into two 60x60cm blocks on opposite sides of the kitchen. I think fridgehob is better.

Lalalonglegs - I'm not sure there is a better layout. If the fridge, hob and sink are not along the same 3m wall there is only 1m of workspace - as it is, the appliances are all to the left and the worksurface is straight ahead (with the dishwasher underneath).

We have slept on it and decided to take the flat, and do the tall fridge/hob option. I think it is the best we can do in the circumstances.

Thanks for your help!

greenlotus Fri 07-Jan-11 13:05:14

Aha, I had it the wrong way round in my head (thought that sink was on long wall) good luck!

lalalonglegs Fri 07-Jan-11 13:25:54

Wouldn't it be better to move the sink to where you want the oven and vice versa? I can't quite visualise it but am sure there must be a solution.

herhonesty Fri 07-Jan-11 20:46:26

a fridge next to any heat emitting appliance will make fridge work harder and reduce its longevity. BUT i have seen installation to reduce this impact if you dont have a choice.

thereistheball Tue 11-Jan-11 15:48:51

Herhonesty - what kind of installation? We weren't planning to fit them, but have freestanding appliances. Is that not a good idea? We want to be able to take them with us when we go.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: