Talk

Advanced search

Come and give step me a-by-step guide on how to paint a room please!

(3 Posts)
starrystarrynights Wed 05-Jan-11 23:17:41

Thanks to all who replied to my thread about whether I should remove the lining paper - as you can tell I'm not a DIY expertgrin

Anyway, we finally get the keys to our new place on Monday and as I'm on gardening leave till the middle of February, I've told DP to leave the painting to me, a decision that I'm now regretting

I did paint my old flat but that was many moons ago. Is it really a simple as doing the gloss work and then the walls? I'd appreciate any shortcuts, tips on how to avoid brushmarks,and any other hints and a step by-step guide if possible please.

I will post pictures when its all done grin

TIA

paarrp Wed 05-Jan-11 23:26:49

Basically start from the ceiling and work your way down. I'd do the windows & doors first alongside the ceiling. Last thing is the skirting boards and radiators.

Preparation is the key so make sure the woodwork etc has been washed/sanded down.

Invest in some decent quality brushes and when you're painting don't overload the brush as this is what leaves the brushmarks.

Good luck

lalalonglegs Thu 06-Jan-11 09:39:32

I'd do ceiling and above picture rail (if you have one) first then windows, doors and skirting boards and finally walls. Use a roller on walls and ceiling as I think it makes life a lot easier. Buy loads of masking tape and a little razor thing for scraping paint drops off glass. If the paint looks really thick on the woodwork, it is worth burning it off (or using a stripper) but it is a really tiresome job. Use proper undercoats on the woodwork so that you get a better, longer-lasting finish. Unscrew sockets and switches from the wall and pull forward so that you can paint under them a little bit and don't end up getting paint on the edges of the fittings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now