Advanced search

Party Wall advice

(4 Posts)
vbus Wed 05-Jan-11 13:30:11

We're planning to do kitchen extension and havebeen advised to serve our neighbour notice for Party Wall.

Not really sure how to go about this...I will obviously discuss with neighbour our plans prior to serving notice. But what happens next?

Do I get solictor to draw up paperwork and hand that to neighbours? What happens if they object to extension? (it is within permitted development but will block out some of their light).

How long does this process usually take? I presume no building work allowed til notice served?

Anyone been through this with any gems of wisdom to share much appreciated

tinierclanger Wed 05-Jan-11 13:37:27

You don't need a solicitor to do it, you can get a template and fill it in yourself. this site is useful. You do need to nominate a surveyor.

You hand them the paperwork in advance (2 months I think). If they have issues, you go into dispute, but that doesn't necessarily have to be a big deal. On the whole as a process it's normally a bit of a technicality,

bitzermaloney Wed 05-Jan-11 13:48:06

We are doing this at the moment. What exactly do you have to serve the notice for - are you putting a beam into an adjoining wall or digging within 3 metres of their property? You can get started on other parts of the work that don't fall under the party wall agreement.

This downloadable booklet explains it all.

If they decide they want a surveyor you will have to pay for it.

vbus Wed 05-Jan-11 17:54:49

Thanks so much for your help both. A bit of light reading for me then grin info looks useful. We're going out by 3m but neighbour is of the protesting kind, hope things go smoothly...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: