Talk

Advanced search

What happens (in Scotland) when a tenant doesn't pay their rent?

(3 Posts)
gregssausageroll Mon 03-Jan-11 16:35:54

Not me but for a friend who has a property that is let out. Her agent isn't doing much to help so I said I'd ask here.

He said his bank card was cloned at the beginning of December and wiped him out.

Come 8th January he will be due 2 months rent.

He did say he was getting things sorted but she's not sure how much to go with it or to commence eviction proceedings against him once the second late payment happens (if indeed it does happen).

Thanks

lalalonglegs Mon 03-Jan-11 17:35:33

I don't know anything about Scottish law but if she is using an agent for rent collection and/or management, then I'd put pressure on them to start sorting it out. Presumably they have experience with this sort of thing. Point out that if it does come to eviction, shewill be asking for a pro-rata proportion of their fee back and won't be using them to find new tenants.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 06-Jan-11 17:39:09

AFAIK, once he's three months in arrears, eviction proceedings can be started, but if less than that amount is outstanding once it gets to court the eviction won't be granted. (Ie, if he's managed to pay off some arrears.)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: