Talk

Advanced search

Tenants own content insurance

(12 Posts)
gorionine Mon 13-Dec-10 11:25:18

We do not have one, we do not desire to have one. Received today a letter from Letting agent that we should have one as (they say on letter) it is a condition on the tenancy Agtreement. We have lived here over 6 years and this has never come up before. Can they force us to insure our own content?

DanceInTheDark Mon 13-Dec-10 11:27:08

Gori - We have to have insurance with our rental. It may be a condition on the owners rental mortgage. TBH i am glad we have it, everything (well most things) are covered if there is a break in then.

strawberryshortbread Mon 13-Dec-10 11:33:03

worth having this. the insurance they have will be for the building only which i think would not insure your personal belongings. so if there was a God forbid fire, flood or break in etc and your belongings damaged/stolen you would be insured for replacements.

gorionine Mon 13-Dec-10 16:25:43

Thanks.I do understand that if you are insured your things get replaced but if I still do not want to be insured what happens. How can they tell me after 6 years that they suddenly realise we do not have protection for our own things and it goes against the tenancy agreement? How come it took so long for them to realise that and why is it a cncern for them if we choose not to insure OUR belongings? I could understand an insurance if we destroy soomething that belongs to the landlord but I cannot understand why we should insure our belongings if we do not want to. Can they legally force us to getr insured? would they throw us out if we refuse?

strawberryshortbread Mon 13-Dec-10 16:35:19

hmmm, is the condition definately in your tenancy agreement? i guess best check with the estate agent what would happen if you refused if it is indeed in your agreement.

i'm a landlord and i have it written in my shorthold tenancy agreement that the tenants are resposible for insuring their own contents, but not mandatory.

i have also written no pets and no smoking and if i found out they were keeping pets (minus goldfish!) i would be able to use this and give them notice i'm afraid.

mamalino Mon 13-Dec-10 16:43:00

Why would you not want to be insured?

ISNT Mon 13-Dec-10 16:59:01

Do you have a copy of your tenancy agreement?

Read it.

I also cannot understand why it would be of any interest whether contents are insured, as if anything happens it's your lost. The landlord will have buildings insured separately (unless he's mortgage free and feels the same about insurance as you!). But either way, it doesn't make sense.

Read your agreement what does it say.

gorionine Mon 13-Dec-10 17:02:09

I think we will ask the estate agent exactly what it is about because to me it feels they are trying to sell us an insurance and possibly get a commission on it as they have sent us a leflet about a company they recommend.

Strawberry, what would you think if the estate agent took 6 years to realise your tenants have got pets? Not really on the pulse are they?

Mamalino, we do not own anything that has any value other than sentimental + personal reasons.

LIZS Mon 13-Dec-10 17:03:44

Maybe they've had a situation in another property and are checking up. Is it furnished or unfurnished ? Even with an unfurnished property it is normal for the ll to have some contents cover for carpets, appliances etc.confused as to why you would choose not to have insurance for your own possessions though.

TheNextMrsClaus Mon 13-Dec-10 17:04:54

Is your place let furnished? In other words, are you using furniture/fridges etc belonging to the landlord? If so, I could understand why they'd want you to insure it.

ISNT Mon 13-Dec-10 17:11:58

I think that buildings insurance covers things which are considered "permanent" ie windows fitted kitchens bathroom suites etc

Contents is normally for teh stuff that you would take with you if you moved.

I don't think it is unusual for a landlord letting an unfurnished property not to take out contents insurance.

strawberryshortbread Mon 13-Dec-10 17:15:42

no agree, but if i let through an agent (i do mine privately) i would expect them to inspect the property every 6 months or so to ensure no subletting, pets etc.

as per other pp do check your agreement, they could well be trying to make commissions.

in terms of nothing of value.. you'll be surprised how much personal belongings add up especially in a worse case scenario! i assume you have a tv, computer, clothes, photos, toys, electric goods, hairdryer, bedding.... just my 2pence on that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now